Visiting Research Students
The Visiting Research Student’s scheme is designed for students already embarked on doctoral research with their home university, but who wish to take advantage of the unique resources SOAS has to offer. It is also available to students proposing to embark on a research degree but who need a period of preparatory study other than is provided by a Master’s programme. Applicants wishing to undertake supervised research without registering for a degree course are also eligible to apply.
Since Visiting Research Students are not registered for a degree programme they are not formally assessed on their work and cannot be awarded a qualification. Visiting Research Students can enrol for one term, two terms or three terms.
A VRS benefits from most of the privileges enjoyed by the School’s research degree students. A VRS will:
- be allocated a research supervisor,
- can expect five hours of supervision per term,
- are attached to the academic department of the supervisor,
- are full members of the SOAS Library,
- may use the School’s student computing facilities, and
- may, by arrangement with the teachers concerned, audit (attend but not be registered for or examined in) classes in areas relevant to their research.
If the enrolment period includes the summer term (term three) they have the added benefit of continuing enrolment through to the beginning of the next academic year with no additional charge, although there may only be limited access to their supervisor during the summer vacation period.
Deadlines for VRS Applicants
The deadlines for receipt of a complete application form (including receipt of references submitted directly and confidentially by your referees) are as follow:
- September Entry Applications – 30th June
- January Entry Applications – 12th October
- April Entry Applications – 31st January
Please remember that applications submitted on the deadline are unlikely to be considered complete in time.
Fee information is available on the Tuition Fees web pages.