Certificates and Diplomas
SOAS, University of London runs a range of non-degree courses. These include:
- Undergraduate Certificates
- Language Certificates and Teaching Diplomas
- Graduate and Postgraduate Diplomas
- Foundation Diplomas
The following certificates are taught by academic departments at SOAS and they are generally based on undergraduate degree programmes. Please apply for these Certificates using the online application form.
- Ancient Near Eastern Studies Students can only start this certificate in odd years, for example 2015, 2017, 2019
- Arabic Studies
- Certificate in Politics and International Studies
- Modern Hebrew
- Politics and International Studies
- Sanskrit Diploma
- South Asian Studies
- Study of Religions
- Turkish Studies
Diplomas are qualifications in their own right and are taken by students who do not wish to do a full Masters degree.
- Postgraduate Diploma in International Studies and Diplomacy. This is run by the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD) for those who do not wish to complete the full Masters degree. Please apply using the online application form.
- Graduate Diploma in Economics. This is an ideal conversion programme for those who do not hold an undergraduate degree in Economics but wish to pursue a course of study or career in this field. Teaching will be at an undergraduate level. Please apply using the online application form.
Certificate and Diploma in Asian Art
Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma in Asian Art : This programme offers a unique opportunity to study the arts of Asia and the Islamic world. Please apply using the Postgraduate Diploma in Asian Art application form.
The following certificates and diplomas are offered by and must be applied for via the Language Centre. The Language Centre also teaches a wide range of languages, which you can study for a shorter period in the evening or on Saturday. Please visit the language centre webpage for a full list.
- Communicative Arabic (full time)
- Communicative Chinese (full time)
- Communicative Japanese (full time)
Please apply directly to the Language Centre for the courses mentioned above. Application and payment forms can be found on the right hand side of each course webpage.
- Postgraduate Certificate / Diploma in Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language
- Postgraduate Certificate / Diploma in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language
These are designed specifically for students coming from other university systems and who need or would like the opportunity to adjust to the specific requirements of the British system. They include a substantial English-language component. SOAS foundation diplomas are recognised throughout the UK university sector.
- Foundation Diploma for Postgraduate Studies (FDPS). This diploma offered by the IFCELS department integrates courses in relevant subjects such as international relations, media studies, business studies and literature, taught at advanced undergraduate level, with English-language classes designed specifically for the subjects concerned. Please fill out and print the FDPS Application Form