SOAS University of London


Undergraduate International Applicants FAQs

  • If my first language is not English, what evidence does SOAS require of English proficiency?

    Please visit the SOAS webpage on English Language Requirements for further information. 

  • Do I need a student visa to study in the UK?

    If you are from the European Economic Area (EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway) or Switzerland you should be granted entry to the UK on production of a valid passport. Although you do not need a visa we advise you to have evidence of financial support and evidence of your acceptance as a full-time student with you on arrival in the country.

    Students who are not nationals of an EEA country or Switzerland require a valid passport and must obtain entry clearance before travelling to the UK.

    Please note that you will not receive a letter in support of your visa application under the Points-Based Immigration System.

    From the end of February 2010 the United Kingdom Visa and Immigration department (UKVI) implemented a system whereby institutions communicate directly with UKVI to advise details of students who are holding Unconditional offers and will require visas. After this has been done, UKVI will provide us with a unique reference number (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies or CAS number) which you will need when you apply for your visa. When we have received your CAS number we will advise you as soon as possible by email along with details of the information we have provided to UKVI).

    When you make your application through UCAS you should note if you require a student visa to study in the UK and provide details of your passport. You must ensure that you have provided this information as this will be used by SOAS to communicate with UKVI. If you have not provided this information, your visa process may be delayed. If you are unsure of what needs to be done to update your information, please contact the UCAS Customer Service Unit.

    Please note that the CAS number you are given is valid for a period of six months from the date it is assigned to you and you may not apply for a visa with UKVI more than 3 months before the start date of your programme. SOAS will commence the process in respect of individual visa applications as soon as possible within this time-scale.  

    Please refer to the following websites for further information:
    UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs):
    UK Borders Agency:

  • How can I find out the entry requirements for my chosen programme?

    Please visit the SOAS webpage at undergraduate entry requirements and click on your chosen programme for detail of A level, International Baccalaureate and other commonly accepted entry requirements. You can also find these details under the individual programme information pages. On these pages you will also be able to find a link giving equivalencies for a range of commonly encountered qualifications. 
    If you would like information on the acceptability of qualifications not detailed on these pages, please email