SOAS University of London


Undergraduate FAQs: Starting your studies

  • When does the course start and how will I know what time and where to go on my first day?
    All Undergraduate degree programmes begin on Monday 23rd September 2019. Full details of procedures for enrolment and payment of tuition fees will be sent in the weeks before the start of term. This information will be sent to students holding unconditional, firmly accepted places in good time before the process commences. During the first week of term you will be required to attend in person to complete remaining enrolment formalities such as enrolling in person (compulsory for new students), ID checks and receiving your student ID/Library card. There will be various introductory talks, tours of the campus and local area and a fresher’s fair.
  • What happens if I can’t make it to SOAS for the beginning of term?

    You should make every effort to enrol at the required time during the first week.  If due to circumstances outside your control you cannot get to SOAS during the first week late enrolment is normally possible but with strict deadlines applied for latest permitted dates. Full details of enrolment schedules will be available around the time of enrolment.

  • What are the term times for the 2019/2020 academic year?
    First Term (Autumn Term)

    Start: Monday 23rd September 2019
    End: Friday 13th December 2019
    Reading Week: 4th – 8th November 2019
    Teaching starts: Teaching week 1 - Monday 30th September 2019

    Second Term (Spring Term)

    Start: Monday 6th January 2020 
    End: Friday 20th March 2020
    Reading Week: 10th – 14th February 2020

    Third Term (Summer Term)

    Start: Monday 20th April 2020
    End: Friday 12th June 2020

  • How and when do I need to pay my tuition fees?

    Tuition fees must be paid in full before your enrolment at SOAS can be finalised, unless you are self-funded and have an instalment agreement.

    If you are being sponsored or if Student Finance or SAAS are paying your fees you will need to have provided documentary evidence of this before enrolment can be completed

    If you are paying your own fees you can pay by cheque, debit/credit card or bank transfer.  

    For further information related to tuition fees please visit the Tuition Fees pages.

  • Can I pay tuition fees in instalments?

    If you are a self-funding student taking an on-campus degree programme, you can pay your tuition fees in two equal instalments.

    For more information, please visit the Fees page on the SOAS website.
  • What do I do if I am sponsored?

    If you are being sponsored you will need have provided confirmation of this before you will are able to complete your enrolment. Sponsorship is accepted from a funding body or government organisation. The Sponsorship Confirmation Letter should confirm that the tuition fees will be paid for the relevant academic year and should give the name, address and contact details of the person to be contacted for payment. If the sponsor does not pay you are responsible for paying the fees.

  • How do I apply for Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance?

    You should apply for your Tuition Fee Loan as early as possible. When completing your loan application please enter ‘degree’ and then select the relevant generic degree title. If you are applying using a paper form, do not enter the UCAS code. Instead enter the generic degree title, for example, ' 3 Year Humanities and Social Science Degree'. For further advice on the generic degree titles for Student Finance

    Full details about Student Loans are at You will need to return your signed Declaration Form to complete the loan application. Once you have enrolled the School will confirm your attendance to Student Finance and this will release your maintenance loan and tuition fee payments.

  • Am I eligible for a SOAS Undergraduate Bursary?