Meet the World at SOAS
Every year SOAS attracts hundreds of students from around the world. There are many reasons why you should study at SOAS too.
- SOAS is unique. It is the only higher education institution in Europe specialising in the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East. The School also has the largest concentration of specialist faculty concerned with the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East at any university in the world.
- The SOAS Library is one of only five National Research Libraries in the UK, with more than 1.5 million items and extensive electronic resources in 400 languages. As the national library for the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East it attracts scholars from all over the world.
- SOAS offers a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degrees. Students can choose from more than 350 undergraduate degree combinations and from almost 200 postgraduate programmes (taught and online and distance learning) in the social sciences, humanities and languages with a distinctive regional focus and global relevance, taught by world-renowned teachers in specialist faculties.
- SOAS is consistently ranked among the top higher education institutions in the UK and the world. It has been ranked in the top 10 for Arts and Humanities in the UK and 14th in Europe in the 2016 QS World University Rankings. SOAS has also increased its overall ranking by 23 places compared to last year and has steadily risen in the Academic Reputation ranking (now listed 29th); and it was ranked first in London for teaching in the 2016 NSS.
- SOAS offers a friendly, vibrant campus in the heart of the world's greatest city. London's rich cultural and social life is literally on its doorstep. It offers students an unparalleled environment in which to live and study, being a centre for government and law, Europe’s leading financial market, a style-setting centre of multi-cultural life and intellectual hub. SOAS' small size and low ratio of staff to students makes an intimate community at the centre of the university quarter of historic Bloomsbury, with the world renowned British Museum and the British Library close by
- SOAS is diverse and lively. The international environment and cosmopolitan character of the School make student life a challenging, rewarding and exciting experience. SOAS is one of the world's top ten universities for the percentage of international students (QS World University Rankings 2013), welcoming the brightest minds from more than 133 countries.
- Small group teaching remains an important feature of study at SOAS. Our student-staff ratio (11.3:1) is one of the best in the UK.
- SOAS offers an unparalleled range of non-European languages, all of which may be studied without previous knowledge.
- SOAS takes student services seriously and offers many sources of support and advice on matters ranging from finance to exam worries. Among others, we have a dedicated Welfare team, Careers Service, Disability Advisor, Diversity Advisor and dedicated academic advisors for undergraduate, postgraduate/research and mature students.
- SOAS students are satisfied. 90% students rate “Teaching on my course” highly and rank SOAS first above other London HEIs Royal Holloway and King's College London. Overall student satisfaction rates for SOAS are also above the sector average, at 88%. (National Student Survey 2016).
- SOAS prepares you for todays job market... Over 100 employers take part in careers events on the SOAS campus every year. Many more advertise their vacancies through the SOAS Careers Service system. All are seeking the often unique combination of skills and knowledge acquired from the SOAS study programmes.
- Study abroad All students at SOAS have the option to study a language alongside their degree and, for many programmes, the chance to spend a year abroad studying their chosen language intensively in a partner institution.( See individual programmes for details.)
We welcome you to become part of the SOAS experience and invite you to learn more about us by exploring our website.