Seminars, Conferences & Events
The Department (co-)hosts a number of seminars for invited speakers as well as an ethnographic film series. Department members also participate in the seminars and conferences of a numerous topical and regional centres.
- Anthropology Departmental Research Seminar
- Anthropology of Tourism and Travel Colloquium Series
- Ethnographic Film Series
- Centre for Migration and Diaspora Studies: Seminar Series
- Centre for Food Studies: Food Forum
- Anthropology in London Day (Annual)
Regional centres and institutes
- Centre of African Studies
- Centre of Korean Studies
- Centre of South East Asian Studies
- Japan Research Centre
- London Middle East Institute
- SOAS China Institute (SCI) (previously the Centre of Chinese Studies)
- SOAS South Asia Institute (SSAI) (previously the Centre of South Asian Studies)
- "Buildings That Fill My Eye" Architectural Heritage of Yemen
Curated by Trevor H.J. Marchand, Emeritus Professor of Anthropology, SOAS
Yemen possesses one of the world’s finest treasure-troves of architecture. Three of its ancient cities – Shibam, Ṣanaa and Zabid – are UNESCO’s World Heritage sites. This exhibition, curated by Trevor H.J. Marchand, Emeritus Professor of Anthropology, SOAS will explore the astonishing variety of building styles and traditions that have evolved in this region over millennia.
- Usakos - Photographs Beyond Ruins: The Old Location Albums, 1920s to 1960s
An exhibition that centres on three private collections of historical photographs preserved and curated by four female residents (Cecilie //Geises, Wilhelmine Katjimune, Gisela Pieters and Olga //Garoës) in the small central Namibian town called Usakos.
- Monuments of Faith and Power: Yemen’s Religious Architecture
Noha Sadek, Independent Scholar, Paris
A public lecture accompanying the Buildings That Fill My Eye exhibition