SOAS University of London

Department of Anthropology and Sociology

ESRC Funding for PhD Research

SOAS is a member of the UBEL Doctoral Training Partnership (UBEL-DTP), alongside UCL, Birkbeck, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and the University of East London. The Partnership provides ESRC funding for over 40 new PhD studentships each year. 

How to apply

Prospective students must apply both for admission onto our PhD programme and for a UBEL-DTP studentship. These are separate processes.

Applications to the PhD programme should be made through SOAS’s Postgraduate Application System after reading carefully the description of the Anthropology PhD programme and the various pathways available.

Further information on how to apply for these studentships

Advice on completing your UBEL-DTP application

Competition for UBEL-DTP studentships is fierce. Applications are assessed on the basis of academic track record as well as quality of the proposed research. Please consult the guidelines at the UBEL-DTP website carefully.

It is very important that applicants approach prospective academic supervisors in the Department of Anthropology as early as possible to discuss their applications. Although supervisors need not necessarily be identified on the preliminary application form, it is crucial that applicants liaise with their prospective supervisor(s) when completing their applications. Applicants should consult Anthropology staff profile pages to identify appropriate staff members to approach to supervise their projects. Applicants are also welcome to contact the Director of Doctoral Studies for advice.

Studentships are available for all of the PhD pathways offered by the Department of Anthropology.

For further information please see the UBEL-DTP website and SOAS ESRC Studentships.

Other funding opportunities

Home and overseas applicants to the full-time Anthropology MPhil/PhD programme may also be eligible to apply for a SOAS Research Studentship, which has an earlier deadline and has restricted criteria. See the Studentship page for more information.

Other sources of funding are listed on our departmental pages on Funding Your Studies and Funding Your Fieldwork.