Welcome to the Faculty of Arts & Humanities at SOAS University of London. The Faculty is home to the departments of Anthropology & Sociology, History of Art and Archaeology, History, Music, Study of Religions and the Centre for Media Studies, as well as a number of subject specific Centres.
The study of arts and humanities has been central to SOAS activity since 1917. All Faculty staff are specialists in regions as well as disciplines, and all subjects taught at undergraduate level within the Faculty can be combined with other disciplines across the School. Indeed, the range of course options and combinations is a distinctive characteristic of studying at SOAS, with the option of studying language units included within all our degrees.
In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework Music, which was already ranked highly, has risen to 5th in the UK, with over half of its publications judged ‘world-leading’; History of Art and Archaeology has seen a dramatic rise up the league tables, from 17th to 8th (out of 25), coming in the top 5 nationally for the quality of its publications. This is just one indication of the international importance of the research activity carried out by academic staff, and staff research provides the basis of teaching activity in the Faculty.
At postgraduate level the Faculty is committed to providing stimulating courses that enable students to study particular countries or regions in depth, and to explore comparisons and contrasts across the major areas of Asia and Africa. The programmes are designed to provide students with the knowledge they need to understand the nature of other societies and cultures, and to form ideas about the past, present and future of the complex and multicultural world in which we all live.
Key Faculty post holders are:
- Interim Dean of Faculty: Professor Lutz Marten
- Associate Dean - Learning and Teaching: Dr Angus Lockyer
- Associate Dean - Research: Dr Erica Hunter
- Faculty Senior Tutor: Dr Charlotte Horlyck
- Head of the Department of Anthropology: Dr Kevin Latham
- Head of the School of Arts: Professor Anna Contadini
- Head of the School of History, Religions and Philosophies: Professor Richard Reid
The Faculty Office is located on the third floor, room 327 of the main building at the School's Russell Square campus. This Office is the first point of contact for staff and students.
Key administrative contact points are as follows:
- Faculty Administrator: Mr Jonathan Tanner Room 320
- Team Leader Student Support: Mr Mat Schofield Room 329
- Team Leader Academic Support: Ms Carol Miles Room 321
- Southeast Asian Art Academic Programme Project Administrator: Ms Simone Green Room 330
Please log into the online Student Information Desk and submit an enquiry.
Student Information Desk
If you have been emailed with your SOAS IT Account, you should log into the online Student Information Desk and submit an enquiry.
If you have not yet received your account details, please send an email to email@example.com.