Our newest cohort of SOASians are arriving soon on campus and we couldn’t be more excited to welcome you all. There are some great activities planned for Welcome Week, 25 – 29 September.
For a full timetable of what’s happening and when, check out our Welcome to SOAS guide
And, as always, our Students’ Union has some incredible things planned. They like to do things a little differently – so expect the unexpected!
There are, of course, some of those administrative things that need to be sorted to ensure everything runs smoothly for your transition to SOAS life. The sooner you get it done, the sooner you can take advantage of all the fun stuff!
- Firstly watch the enrolment video; and complete online enrolment
- Then enrol in person at your allocated session (bring your email confirmation, and a photocopy of your photo ID – passport, visa or similar)
- Bring proof of fees payment or student loan to the Fees Office
- Log into your SOAS email account and check all your messages
- Collect your student ID card
- Register to attend the mandatory ‘Enough is Enough Consent Workshop’
- Sign up to a Library tour (available at various times). Come to the library entrance on the ground floor of SOAS main building
- Need to register for a doctor or find out about local services? GPs and other useful contacts will be available in the Paul Webley Wing, Senate House (Tuesday 26 September, 11am-4pm)
- If you have a disability, please register with the Student Disability Office
- If English is not your first language, visit: soas.ac.uk/ifcels
- If you are studying a language, complete your language placement tests
- See the guide checklist for information about getting a railcard, opening a bank account, obtaining a free meningitis vaccination (recommended), study skills – learning and teaching development, and careers top tips workshops. Yes, your career!
- Join the Freshers’ Facebook group to keep on top of everything that is happening.
- Add the official SOAS channels on Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat (soasuni) to see photos of you and your new friends throughout the week
- Start following the SU on Twitter
- Be sure to share your experience with us using #soasfreshers17
- Attend getting connected events with your tutors and students on the same programme of study
- Log into Bloomsbury Learning Environment
- Attend a Students’ Union welcome talk (Tuesday 26 or Wednesday 27 September)
- Enjoy the SU Freshers’ Fair. Collect your SU handbook, sign up for student societies, and enjoy all the social events (Friday 29 September)
- Try one of the language taster sessions (and learn a language alongside your degree!)
- Join a campus tour during Welcome Week. It is free, starts at 2pm, 3pm or 4pm from Brunei Gallery entrance – just turn up!
- Discover the local area by viewing our SOAS Gems
*Top tip: Prioritise yellow events (getting enrolled) and pink events (getting connected to your programme of study). Red events will help you in different ways, and blue events kick start your social life at SOAS!
Still got questions?
Student Ambassadors will be available on campus to answer any questions and point you in the right direction.
Enjoy your new programme of study, and don’t forget: lectures start Monday 2 October!