SOAS University of London

International Students

Information for Prospective Students from Canada

Canada Flag

Welcome to the country page for Canada. This page contains specific information for students from Canada.


Tel: +44 (0)20 7898 4700

Further information on upcoming visits can be found on the Meet SOAS staff in your Area page.

Minimum Entry Requirements

The below are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.


Entry requirements vary depending on course however, we would normally require an overall score of 85% in the Ontario Secondary School Diploma, in a minimum of 6 grade 12 University of University/College Preparation courses.

British Colombia

The completion of the British Colombia High School Diploma is acceptable for admission onto undergraduate programmes. Entry requirements vary depending on course. We would normally require grades ranging from AAAAA-BBBBB in five grade 12 subjects.

Advanced Placements (APs)

If students wish to substitute one or more of their grade 12 subjects with Advanced Placement Tests then a score of 4 or 5 in the AP test is required.  

International Baccalaureate

For International Baccalaureate (IB) applicants we require between 32 and 38 points depending on the programme applied for. 
For full details please refer: IB Entry Requirements

For details of other Province entry requirements please contact:

How to apply


For entry onto a one year taught Masters programme we require a minimum GPA of 3.3/average grade B+. We are looking for the completion of a four-year undergraduate degree programme from a Canadian or US institution. Individual departments may specify a preference for specific subject areas at undergraduate level. 

How to apply 

Semester Abroad

SOAS has a fully integrated ‘Study Abroad’ programme for both undergraduates and postgraduates, where students can study at the School for either the Fall or Spring semester or a full academic year as part of their degree at another institution. More information and an application form can be found on the Study Abroad pages or by contacting


SOAS offers a range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students. There are other scholarships provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations. For further information please visit the SOAS Scholarships web page.

For other scholarship opportunities please visit the Government of Canada International Scholarships web page. 

Employment Opportunities

If you apply for a visa before you arrive in the UK then you should be eligible to work part-time or volunteer during your programme of study. This visa will allow you to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and any number of hours during the vacations. However, you should check before you apply for a job that your visa will allow you to do this particular kind of work.

Please be aware that to meet immigration rules for students, you have to show that you have enough money to support yourself during your studies without needing to work. For comprehensive advice on working in the UK, please visit the UKCISA website:

SOAS Careers Service

The SOAS Careers Service can help you to find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation.
There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.


SOAS has alumni all over the world, if you would like to contact an alum to ask any questions then please visit the SOAS alumni website. 

Useful links

  • The British Council is the UK's international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. Their Canadian website is a useful resource for education in the UK and other cultural information.
  • British High Commission in Canada where you can find information about all aspects of the UK, as well as practical information about VISAS.
  • UCAS - the Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the central organisation through which undergraduate applications are processed for entry to Higher Education.
  • UKCISA - the Council for International Student Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying in the UK, including visa advice.