Statement of Service
SOAS Careers Service
SOAS Careers Service is one of The Careers Group, University of London's, network of locally provided college careers services. We are the dedicated point of contact for career development needs of all SOAS clients as defined below.
To view the complete Statement of Service for The Careers Group, our parent body, please visit their website.
SOAS Careers Service Mission Statement
We empower all SOAS students and graduates to make informed career decisions, which will enable them to realise their potential and make a positive difference in the world.
We do this through data driven research, the expertise of our staff, membership of The Careers Group and collaborations with SOAS colleagues, alumni, employers and other external organisations.
Who can use the SOAS Careers Service?
All full time and part time SOAS students on an on campus course are welcome to access our services, as are SOAS graduates. We also offer a consultancy service to academic colleagues and work in partnership with them to deliver bespoke careers education for each department every year
What we offer you
- Access to a range of specialist digital careers information and resources via MySOAS Student and online databases such as GoinGlobal, InterviewStream and GraduatesFirst, and resources and online learning pathways via CareersZONE.
- An information room containing resources on employment sectors, job-seeking skills, post-graduate study and specialist professional training, with access to pcs to update your CV or undertake careers research.
- Employability talks, workshops and courses and coaching sessions, delivered by employers and careers consultants. Visit our events calendar on CareersZONE. (Please note: these may be delivered virtually or on campus, and delivery method may be changed at short notice).
- A suite of recoded webinars on topics around career development which you can view in your own time. Topics include decision making, resilience, writing a great application and many more. Find them on MySOAS Student.
- Access to jobs, internships and volunteering opportunities through our online jobsboard on CareersZONE.
- Peer to peer careers advice and guidance via SOAS Connect, our e-mentoring service.
- One-to-one guidance and longer careers discussions with professional careers practitioners who will help you to develop your own strategies for dealing with your situation. If you have been invited to an interview, a practice interview with a consultant will allow you to experience a real interview situation, get feedback on your performance and tips on how to improve.
- One-to-one CV and application advice with our application advisers and/or careers practitioners. (Please note: these may be virtual or on campus, and delivery method may be changed at short notice).
How to book an appointment
If you would like to book a guidance appointment, application advice, practice interview or careers discussion, please visit our careers advice page for full details.
Please note: during the Autumn Term we prioritise appointments for current students and graduates from the previous year.
If you graduated more than 2 years ago, we can offer you up to 3 appointments per year (not available during th Autumn Term).
About our team
Our team consists of the Head of Careers, Careers Consultants, Guidance Advisers, Information Manager, Employer Engagement Manager, and Internships, Placements and Volunteering Officer and a Graduate Intern.
We are here to help and advise you on how to use the service and information resources as well as providing a programme of workshops, fairs, employer and alumni events. In addition, we co-ordinate local vacancies for CareersZONE. The Careers Consultants will advise you on a one to one basis and help you develop your skills whatever stage you're at in planning your future.
How to provide us with feedback
Client feedback, both positive and negative, underpins continuous, quality improvement of our service and is vital to us. We run an annual survey to find out what students think, and each year issue a 'Your Thoughts; Our Ideas' poster to show how we have used the feedback. If you have any feedback at any time, please speak to a Careers team member. If you are unwilling or feel unable to approach a team member, please raise the matter with the Head of the SOAS Careers Service. Please contact a member of staff if you would like further clarification or email email@example.com.
Diversity and accessibility
SOAS Careers actively seeks to support all students and tailor our services to your needs through our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Stategic Plan. If there is anything we can do to make your experience with us a more proactive one, please let us know. If you would like to disclose a specific learning difficulty (SPLD), disability, impairment or medical issue in confidence to one of our staff, you can do this verbally or download this form.
Contact information & opening times
For details on how to contact us and our opening times, please visit our contact us page.