Internships and Placements
At SOAS we strongly encourage our students to undertake internships. Students’ careers are enriched by the experience while employers can benefit from the specialist skills that our students can bring. Internship opportunities can be of any duration and can span a range of types of roles so long as they fit in with the academic year and work round students’ academic commitments. Internships can be offered at any time, though most usually outside of term time, providing companies with an opportunity to get additional support throughout the year or for a concentrated period of time. We only advertise opportunities which offer at least the national minimum wage. For more information, please see The Careers Group website.
Types of internships
- Paid internships of 3-6 month duration are advertised through both the SOAS Careers Service and CareersZONE.
- Paid internships include those part-funded by the Santander Universities SME Internship Programme.
If you would like to develop a particular area of your business or to facilitate success and increase productivity, but you’re not yet ready to recruit a new permanent member of staff, then taking on a student intern may be the ideal solution. If you have an internship position to advertise, please complete a detailed job advertisement form and please send your completed form to email@example.com Students can see your advertised position much in the same way as on an online recruitment website. Any organisation can advertise a position free of charge via CareersZONE where you can advertise your vacancy to all Careers Group Colleges (including King's College, UCL, Queen Mary's, Goldsmiths, St Mary's and City) as well as SOAS.
To view our case studies and testimonials from SOAS students who have undertaken internships, head to the 'Change your World' SOAS Careers blog to read about what SOAS graduates are doing now, as well as the interesting interesting internships current students have taken on while at SOAS. Simply search for 'insight' in the top right hand corner search box to bring up all their stories.
Why SOAS students?
SOAS’s unique combination of language scholarship, regional focus and disciplinary expertise means our students are exceptionally well equipped for entering a globalised workforce. Our students are specialists in the languages, laws, literature, cultures, customs, economics and politics of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. They are also dynamic and engaged citizens, taking part in a number of extra-curricular activities alongside academic studies. Participation in student societies and student enterprise initiatives is high and there is a thriving culture of volunteering. SOAS students move on to a variety of sectors and organisations once they have graduated, including city law firms, major banks in the UK and overseas, international development organisations, government offices and charities.
Added value for employers offering internships:
- Allows you to access specialist skills for a relatively low cost.
- Allows you to identify quality talent early.
- Will raise your profile on campus through word of mouth.
- Provides new ideas and enthusiasm.
- Enables you to assess whether there is a need for a role on a longer-term basis.
- The placement student/graduate could become a future full-time employee - a ‘try before you buy’ approach to recruitment.
If you are interested in offering a placement or internship, please contact us on 020 7898 4287 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I find an internship?
Finding internships is a largely proactive process on your behalf, and we can offer support and resources to help your search.
- To see current SOAS exclusive vacancies as well as a whole range of resources including jobs boards go to our Internships page on MySOASStudent. The vacancies are being constantly updated, but you shouldn’t just be limited to these in your search. The resource lists have hundreds of vacancies on their jobs boards.
- CareersZONE has thousands of vacancies including internships every week. You can set yourself up alerts to receive emails when relevant vacancies are posted.
- Graduate Gateway advertises internships for University of London students
- If you are having trouble getting an internship at your ideal company, let them know that you may be eligible for an exclusive Santander Grant.
- Think about your networks whether they be professional, academic or even personal, you never know who may have contacts that can help you in finding an internship.
Students looking to get a placement in a very competitive sector may have to approach employers directly. This is known as making a speculative application which involves approaching an organisation about the possibility of working for them. Please look at our website for advice on making speculative applications or you can also contact the Careers Service for more advice.
Benefits for students
- Develop personal, vocational and transferable skills
- Build your self-confidence.
- Enhance your employability by gaining valuable relevant work experience
- Build your network by making contacts in your chosen field.
- Gain knowledge through practical experience in your chosen field
- Apply the theory you have learned on your course to a real-life practical context
- Potential to build a long term career
- Earn as you learn
How do I prepare?
We know how tough it is out there, so the careers consultants are here to make sure you are as prepared as you can be. They can help you with CV checks, help on how to write a cover letter and applications, practise interviews and long careers discussion. We offer students 15 minute appointments Monday to Friday which you can book on the day only by calling or visiting in person. SOAS students interested in finding a placement should first check our current list of SOAS exclusive internship opportunities on MySOASStudent.
Convention de Stage
Students seeking internships in France, Spain or Italy will probably be asked for a “Convention de Stage’ or ‘Convenio de Colaboracin’ or ‘Convenio de Colaboracin’ by French, Spanish and Italian host companies. To learn more about obtaining a Convention de Stage from SOAS, please visit Convention de stage.
Need more advice?
Please contact us on email@example.com or come along to our Internship Guidance sessions on Wednesdays between 2pm-4pm in the Careers Zone, SL62.