Film Screening: Addicted in Afghanistan
THIS EVENT IS ARCHIVED
Q&A session chaired by Magnus Marsden with Jawed Taiman (Director) and Sharron Ward (Producer)
Date: 11 March 2010Time: 6:00 PM
Finishes: 11 March 2010Time: 9:00 PM
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings Room: Khalili Lecture Theatre
Type of Event: Film
One million Afghans are estimated to be addicted to drugs, especially heroin. Alarmingly, 40% of these are women and children.
“Addicted in Afghanistan” is an intimate observational documentary that explores the heartbreaking reality behind the headlines as seen through the eyes of Jabar & Zahir, two 15 year old drug addicts living in Kabul.
Join Afghanaid and the Centre of Contemporary Central Asia and the Caucasus, SOAS in presenting the London Premiere of “Addicted in Afghanistan”. in presenting the London Premiere of “Addicted in Afghanistan” on 11 March 2010 at SOAS Khalili Lecture Theatre. Doors open 5.30 pm. Film begins at 6 pm.
Q&A session chaired by Magnus Marsden with Jawed Taiman (Director) and Sharron Ward (Producer) immediately following the film.
Afghanistan is a country devastated by the horrors of war, crime, violence and poverty. It is also a country blighted with the cultivation and supply of opium. Although it is estimated that 95 per cent of all heroin on the streets of the UK & Europe comes from Afghanistan, few talk of the drugs that stay within the country and the devastating effects it is having on its children - the youth & future of Afghanistan. After the war on Terror and the fall of the Taliban, what future is there for the next generation? Jabar and Zahir are two 15 year old friends, whose own sisters, mothers and fathers are also addicted to heroin and opium.
“Addicted in Afghanistan” is an intimate and uncompromising portrayal, filmed over a year, of the day to day struggles of a new generation of children addicted to heroin, trying to find their way in the new Afghanistan. (Film duration: 78 minutes)
To insure your seat, please RSVP to Lauren Donaldson at email@example.com or 0207 065 0825 by Tuesday, 9th March.
We ask that you arrive between 5:30-6:00pm and report to the desk beside the Theatre doors. After 6:05, remaining seats will be offered on a first come, first served basis to those queuing outside the doors.
Additional documentary details
- Completed Languages: Persian & Pashto with English subtitles
- Made with the kind support of: Jan Vrijman Fund, IDFA
- World Premiere: Sheffield International Documentary Film Festival, November 2009
- International Premiere: IDFA, November 2009 – selected to compete in the First Appearance Award, Winner of Best Director of Documentary Asian First Film Festival, Singapore 2009, selected for WATCHDOCS Poland, 2009, selected for Thessaloniki Documentary Film Festival 2010
- Contact: Sharron Ward Katalyst Productions Ltd 200 Lionel Road North London TW8 9QU UK firstname.lastname@example.org tel +44 774 684 0198
Organiser: Centres & Programmes Office, REO and AfghanAid