Agricultural Input Subsidies and their roles in Development
Ongoing research emerging from long standing interest in the wider roles of state and non-state actors in kick starting and coordinating agricultural development and from ongoing engagement with Malawi Farm Input Subsidy Programme. Specific review papers funded by FAO (2009) and 3ie (2013)
- Professor Ephraim Chirwa (Wadonda Consult and University of Malawi)
- David Hemmings,
- Cambria Finegold
- Holly Wright
- Phil Roberts (CAB International)
Associated CeDEP research
- Evaluation of the Malawi Farm Input Subsidy Programme (FISP)
- Who benefits from, and what are the wider market impacts of, voucher subsidies in agriculture and health? Inter-sectoral analytical lessons.
- Dorward, A.R and J. Morrison (forthcoming) Heroes, villains and victims: agricultural subsidies and their impacts on food security and poverty reduction. In Robinson, G., D Schmallegger and J Cleary (eds) Handbook on The Globalisation of Agriculture. Edward Elgar
- Chirwa, E., and A. Dorward. (Forthcoming) Agricultural Input Subsidies and Malawi’s Recent Experience 2005-2010. Oxford University Press (due October 2013) http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199683529.do#.UZn8usoa4tU
- Hazell, P., Poulton, C., Wiggins S. and Dorward A.,(2010) The Future of Small Farms. World Development 38(10): 1349-1361 doi:10.1016/j.worlddev.2009.06.012
- Poulton, C., Dorward A. and Kydd, J., (2010) The Future of Small Farms: New Directions for Services, Institutions and Intermediation. World Development , 38 (10) 1413-1428 doi:10.1016/j.worlddev.2009.06.009
- Dorward, A. (2009) Rethinking agricultural input subsidy programmes in developing countries. p 311-374 in A. Elbehri and A. Sarris (eds) . Non-distorting farm support to enhance global food production. Rome, Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations
- Dorward A.R. (2009) Rethinking Agricultural Input Subsidy Programmes In A Changing World [Paper prepared for FAO].
- Dorward, A., J. Kydd, C. Poulton. and D Bezemer. (2009) Coordination risk and cost impacts on economic development in poor rural areas Journal of Development Studies 45 (7) 1093–1112.
- Dorward, A. R., Poulton, C.D. and Chirwa, E. W. (2009) Markets and dynamic (agricultural) development. Paper presented at AGRA Conference ‘Towards priority actions - market development for African farmers’, Nairobi, May 2009.
- Dorward, A.R. and C. Poulton, (2008) The Global Fertiliser Crisis and Africa, Future Agricultures Briefing. http://www.future-agricultures.org/pdf%20files/brieffertilisercrisis.pdf
- Dorward, A. R., Chirwa, E. W. and Poulton, C.D. (2008) Improving access to input & output markets. Paper presented at Southern Africa Regional Conference on Agriculture: “Agriculture-led Development for Southern Africa: Strategic Investment Priorities for Halving Hunger and Poverty by 2015”, 8-9 December 2008, Gaborone, Botswana
- Poulton, C., Kydd, J., Wiggins S., and Dorward A. (2006) State Intervention for Food Price Stabilisation in Africa: Can It Work? Food Policy Vol 31 No 4
- Poulton, C., Dorward A. and Kydd, J., (2006) Overcoming Market Constraints to Pro-Poor Agricultural Growth in Sub Saharan Africa Development Policy Review24 (3)243-277
- Dorward, A., J. Kydd, and C. Poulton. (2005) Beyond Liberalisation: “Developmental Coordination” Policies for African Smallholder Agriculture. IDS Bulletin Vol 36 No 2
- Dorward, A., J. Kydd, J. Morrison, and C. Poulton. (2005) Institutions, Markets and Economic Co-ordination: Linking Development Policy to Theory and Praxis. Development and Change 36(1): 1–25 (2005)