The China Institute coordinates activities at SOAS, University of London that relate to the study of China. The events bring together academic staff and students with diverse interests and backgrounds.
Events are free and open to the public unless otherwise stated. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For further information contact Li-Sa Whittington at the Institute on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained on the website is as accurate as possible. We cannot guarantee, however, that subsequent changes have not been made.
- Who are the Manchus? The Boundaries and Identity of an “Ethnic Nationality” 谁是满族？
Dr Liu Zheng-ai 刘正爱 (Chinese Academy of Social Sciences)
- China: An innovation superpower in the making?
Prof. George S. Yip (Imperial College London)
- Beyond Ideologies: China’s Experience in Confronting the Global Environmental Crisis
This year, in the annual China Debate series, speakers highlight the dilemma between choosing fast development and growth on the one hand and sustainability on the other. With Isabel Hilton (Chinadialogue), Tom Burke (E3G), Pransenjit Duara (Duke University), Shuo Li (Greenpeace, Beijing) and Jennifer Turner (China Environment Forum).
- Crisis of Global Modernity: Asian Traditions and a Sustainable Future
Prasenjit Duara (Duke University)
- The Platform Sūtra(s) and the Changing Notions of What Chan Should Be
Associate Prof Morten Schlütter (University of Iowa)
- Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch六祖壇經workshop
Associate Professor Morten Schlütter (University of Iowa)