Hong Kong in Transition: Asian City-to-City Collaboration and Performing Arts Exchange, 1997-2017
Date: 9 September 2017Time: 9:00 AM
Finishes: 10 September 2017Time: 5:00 PM
Venue: Paul Webley Wing (Senate House) Room: Senate House Alumni Lecture Theatre (SALT) / BGLT
Type of Event: Symposium
This two-day programme co-presented by the SOAS China Institute and Zuni Icosahedron marks the 20th anniversary of Hong Kong’s handover from the UK to China with a series of events focusing on intercultural exchange and city-to-city collaboration in the performing arts. Participants will reflect on Hong Kong’s cultural exchanges with London and several Asian cities over the past twenty years, as well as discuss proposals, opportunities, strategies, and challenges for the next two decades.
Academic Symposium - Hong Kong Theatre in Transnational Perspective: New Directions and Discourses since 1997
This symposium on Saturday, 09 September in Senate House Lecture Theatre will explore aspects of theatre production in Hong Kong in the post-1997 period from a transnational perspective, including intercultural and cross-genre collaborations with other Sinophone and Asian performance cultures from Singapore, Taiwan, China, and Japan, Cantonese opera in the diaspora, experimental and political performance, and intersections between indigenous and foreign theatrical forms.
The registration desk will open at 9.00am and the symposium will start at 9.30am.
- Rossella Ferrari, SOAS University of London [organiser]
- Joseph Lam, University of Michigan
- Daphne P. Lei, University of California, Irvine
- Whit Emerson, Indiana University
- Wah Guan Lim, Bard College, New York
- Jessica Yeung, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Uchino Tadashi, Gakushuin Women’s College, Tokyo
- Lia Wen-ching Liang, National Taiwan Normal University
- Ashley Thorpe, Royal Holloway, University of London
- Michael Ka Chi Cheuk, SOAS University of London
- How Wee Ng, SOAS University of London
- Mirjam Tröster, Goethe University Frankfurt
- Chen Lin, Freie Universität Berlin
Registration is required of all participants. ONLINE REGISTRATION
Registration fee includes attendance at the symposium and practitioners forum, tea/coffee breaks and light lunch.
One price for attending one or both days:
SOAS staff/ SOAS student*: £5
* SOAS staff and students must show a valid ID card on the day.
As part of this event, a performance will take place at 6pm on Saturday, 09 September: Flee By Night from the Traditional to the Contemporary: A Journey through the Art of Kunqu.
As part of this event, a practitioners forum will take place at 10am on Sunday, 10 September: City-to-City Cultural Exchange, Collaboration, and Performing Arts Development: London-Hong Kong-Taipei-Nanjing-Singapore-Shanghai.
Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange, SOAS China Institute, SOAS Faculty of Language and Cultures, Sino-British Fellowship Trust, Jiangsu Arts Fund 2017 Annual Exchange and Promotion Project: “Tradition and Avant-garde” Kunqu Cultural Exchange 江苏艺术基金2017年度传播交流推广资助项 目 -- “最传统” 和 “最先锋” 昆曲文化交流
Organiser: SOAS China Insititute
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Tel: +44 (0)20 7898 4823