How China engages the world
Date: 18 September 2019Time: 9:30 AM
Finishes: 18 September 2019Time: 7:15 PM
Venue: Paul Webley Wing (Senate House)
Type of Event: Workshop
SOAS China Institute One-Day Masterclass
In the era of US-China trade war China is a key player in global affairs. The focus of this one-day Masterclass is one of today’s most pressing global issues. As the process of decoupling between the USA and China proceeds, understanding how China engages with the rest of the world has become more important than ever. The move to institutionalize the US-China trade war – highlighted, on the one hand, by the US Government’s decision to deny high-tech components to Huawei, and, on the other, by Xi Jinping’s determination to protect ‘the dignity’ of China – signals the unfolding of epochal changes unseen since the end of the Cold War. This has happened as China’s heavy investments in technological innovation has made it a leader in AI and robotics. In this transformational era China is as proactive a player as the USA. It is therefore essential that decision makers in the corporate world, the public sector and the third sector fully understand how China engages the rest of the world. This programme is designed to meet precisely this need.
The Masterclass will bring together scholars and practitioners whose cumulative expertise offers unique insights into a wide range of issues bearing on the topic. Through the use of a panel discussion format conversations between our participating experts, as well as dialogue with the audience, will ensure that different views are presented and tested. Speakers will extrapolate from their research on and experience in China to present succinct expositions on how the Chinese Government manages various specific policy issues.
Programme: speakers, topics and times.
This Masterclass is open to the public. Enrolment will be limited to 45 participants. Registration is required of all participants.
|£450||SOAS China Institute Corporate Members (Standard and Individual) / Full-time academics*|
Book your place here
* Academics must hold a full-time academic position within a University to be eligible for the concessionary rate. Academics must show a valid staff ID card on the day.
- The full fee for the day is £900, which covers all costs, including hospitalities, for the duration of the Masterclass.
- Major Corporate Members of the SOAS China Institute will be entitled to one complimentary place at the Masterclass, while a 50% discount is offered to all Standard and Individual Corporate Members. A delegate whose employer enrols as a Major Corporate Member of the SOAS China Institute within 2 weeks of the Masterclass will be entitled to a full refund of the fee. For those who subsequently take out Standard Corporate Membership, half the fee will be refunded.
- You are requested to register by the morning of 17 September 2019.
- Cancellations must be reported in writing to the Conference Manager. Cancellations must be received by 17 September 2019 in which case registration fees will be refunded, less a £20 processing fee. No refund will be given to cancellations received after 17 September 2019.
Image: 禁书 网 on Flickr
Organiser: SOAS China Institute in collaboration with SOAS Knowledge Exchange
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Tel: +44 (0)20 7898 4823