The China Institute coordinates activities at SOAS, University of London that relate to the study of China. The events bring together academic staff and students with diverse interests and backgrounds.
Events are free and open to the public unless otherwise stated. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For further information contact Li-Sa Whittington at the Institute on email@example.com
Please note that every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained on the website is as accurate as possible. We cannot guarantee, however, that subsequent changes have not been made.
- Ethnographies of Islam in China - An International Conference
This international conference aims to bring together scholars working across disciplinary boundaries to examine the benefits and challenges of fieldwork-based ethnographic research on Islam in China.
- Ashiq: The Last Troubadour
Q&A with the director, Liu Xiangchen
- Chinese Labour Corps Project Launch
- Who are the Manchus? The Boundaries and Identity of an “Ethnic Nationality” 谁是满族？
Dr Liu Zheng-ai 刘正爱 (Chinese Academy of Social Sciences)
- China: An innovation superpower in the making?
Prof. George S. Yip (Imperial College London)
- Crisis of Global Modernity: Asian Traditions and a Sustainable Future
Prasenjit Duara (Duke University)
- The Platform Sūtra(s) and the Changing Notions of What Chan Should Be
Associate Prof Morten Schlütter (University of Iowa)