The China Institute coordinates activities at SOAS, University of London that relate to the study of China. The events bring together academic staff and students with diverse interests and backgrounds.
Events are free and open to the public unless otherwise stated. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For further information contact Li-Sa Whittington at the Institute on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained on the website is as accurate as possible. We cannot guarantee, however, that subsequent changes have not been made.
- Book launch: Transitions to Modernity in Taiwan The Spirit of 1895 and the Cession of Formosa to Japan
Niki Alsford (Central Lancashire)
- A Russian Pivot to Asia?: Putin’s strategic thinking on China, North Korea and Northeast Asia
Anna Kireeva (MGIMO University, Russia)
- Self Construal in Ancient China
Professor Christoph Harbsmeier (University of Oslo)
- Entrepreneurship in China – The Emergence of the Private Sector
Prof Andrew Atherton (University of Lancaster)
- Soul on a String 皮绳上的魂 (Director Zhang Yang, 2017)
Dr Xiaoning Lu (SOAS, University of London) and Ms Frida Jinwen Fan (Shanghai Art Film Federation)
- Tharlo 塔洛 (Director Pame Tseden, 2015)
Ms Frida Jinwen Fan (Shanghai Art Film Federation)
- Becoming China: Great Learning or Apocalyptic Risk
Jeanne Marie-Gescher (SOAS, University of London)
- Chinese Film Festivals: Sites of Translation
Prof. Chris Berry (KCL), Dr Luke Robinson (Sussex) & Dr Lindiwe Dovey (SOAS, University of London)
- The China Paradox
Dr Paul G. Clifford (President, Paul G. Clifford & Associates)