Yenching Academy Scholarship
The Yenching Academy of Peking University is a SOAS partner Institute that offers a great opportunity to SOAS students and recent SOAS graduates: a two-year interdisciplinary Master's Program in China Studies at the top university in China. The first year of the program is fully funded, including round-trip airfare, tuition, housing, and living expenses. Students who maintain good academic standing and choose to remain in Beijing for the second year are also eligible for another year of full funding.
How to apply
Deadline for applications: 11.59pm (by midnight - UK time), Wednesday 02 December 2020.
SOAS students and alumni are required to apply through SOAS. To apply, fill out the application form, save it as a PDF and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
Application Form (Word document - download)
* Applicants will also need to get two letters of recommendation which should be sent to the SOAS China Institute.
Recommendation Form (Word document - download)
** Applicants that are successfully nominated by the SOAS China Institute will be notified by email on Tuesday 08 December and will then be required to submit their applications through the Yenching Academy online portal by 12.00pm (noon) Beijing Time (4.00am in the UK) on Friday 11 December 2020. **
Applicants should have:
* Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in any field or currently enrolled on a degree programme awarded no later than 31 August of the year in which they wish to enroll;
* An outstanding academic record;
* Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China;
* A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement, social responsibility, and leadership potential;
* English proficiency.
The Yenching Academy does not have a strict age cut-off for applicants, but to date, no person over the age of 28 has been admitted to the programme. The average age of students entering the program is 23.
* Personal statement (750 words or less);
* Research proposal (maximum one page);
* Curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages);
* Official transcript(s) ;
* Diploma(s) or Certificate(s) of Enrollment ;
* Two letters of recommendation: Peking University will only accept recommendation letters written by full professors or associate professors (or equivalent titles).
* English proficiency demonstrated through one of the following scores :
- IELTS (Academic): Overall 7.0
- TOEFL (iBT): Overall 100
- Cambridge English Scale (Advanced): Overall 185
- CEFR: C1 level
- Submission of English scores: For IELTS, TOEFL, and Cambridge tests, YCA will only accept scores sent directly to them from these organizations. Please choose “Yenching Academy of Peking University” as the designated recipient of the scores. For TOEFL, use the institution code: C488. Note that tests must be taken after September 01, 2019.
 Candidates whose official university documents are in languages other than English or Chinese must submit copies of both the original documents and certified English translations. This requirement also applies to diplomas issued in Latin. Please ensure that the translation indicates the degree type (e.g. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree).
For full application details and further information on the scholarship programme please visit: https:// yenchingacademy.pku.edu.cn/
* Please note that only SOAS students or recent SOAS graduates are eligible to apply via the SOAS China Institute. Yenching Academy also welcomes candidates who already have another Master's degree, in addition to those holding just Bachelor's degrees or are currently enrolled in their final year of their Bachelor's degree.