Centre of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law
Articles on Islamic and Middle Eastern Law
- Honour Crimes Bibliography - a joint CIMEL / INTERIGHTS project hosted by the International Women's Health Committee
- Islamic Family Law Project - a joint CIMEL / Emory University project,
- Teresa Allen, 'Islamic Law: Conflicts and Contrasts with non-Islamic Legal Systems'
- M.M. al-Azami, 'On Calder's Organically Grown Text with Emphasis on Muwatta of Malik' at Islaam.Com
- Taha Jabir Al 'Alwani, 'Source Methodology in Islamic Jurisprudence: Usul al fiqh al Islami: Methodology for Research and Knowledge'
- Heiner Bielfeldt, 'Muslim Voices in the Human Rights Debate', Human Rights Quarterly, Vol. 17(4)
- Jane F. Collier, 'Islamic Law and Western Imperialism', 'Contested Polities', Stanford Electronic Humanities Review, 5-1, reprinted from Law and Society Review 28.2 (1994), 395-408
- 'Debate on Saudi Press Law, 93 of 1995', Index on Censorship, 2/96
- Anne Hardwick, 'From Muhammad to the Present: Islamic Law and Women', Modus Vivendi, Spring 1996
- R. Stephen Humphreys, 'Tradition and Innovation in the Study of Islamic History: The Evolution of North American Scholarship since 1960'
- Islamic Law in the Global Village: Beset by Contradictions: Islamization, Legal Reform and Human Rights in Sudan, Crime and Justice International, Vol. 13(3), April 1997
- Michael King, 'Religion into Law, Law into Religion: The Construction of a Secular Identity for Islam'
- Stephan Libiszewski, 'Water Disputes in the Jordan Basin Region and their Role in the Resolution of the Arab-Israel Conflict', ENCOP, Occasional Paper 13
- Mohammed Salam Madkoar, Human Rights from an Islamic Worldview: An outline of Hudud, Ta'zir & Qisas, at Belfast Islamic Centre
- Abdal-Hakim Murad, 'Understanding the 4 Madhabs'
- Roger Normand, 'Iraqi Sanctions, Human Rights and Humanitarian Law', Middle East Report, Middle East Research and Information Project, Summer 1996
- Peter A. Piccione, 'The Status of Women in Ancient Egyptian Society', Northwestern University, History of Ancient Egypt Resources
- Annemarie Schimmel, 'Karbala and the Imam Huysayn in Persian and Indo-Muslim Literature', Al-Serat, Vol. XII (1986)
- Courtney Spivey, 'The Invisible Society: Women in Middle Eastern Culture', Modus Vivendi, Spring 1996 - PDF page 54
- John Strawson, 'Encountering Islamic Law', University of East London Law Department, Research Publication Series, No. 1
- Judith Tucker, 'Women and the Ottoman Law of Family Rights, 1917', Arab Studies Journal, Centre for Contemporary Arab Studies, Georgetown University
- Knut S. Vikor, 'The Development of ijtihad and Islamic Reform, 1750-1850', paper delivered at 3rd Nordic Conference on Middle East Studies: Ethnic Encounter and Culture Change
- Dennis Wiechman, Jerry Kendall, Mohammad Azarian, Islamic Law: Myths and Realities, Criminal Justice International Online, Vol. 12(3), May-June 1996
Fordham University Mediaeval History Texts
- P. Crone, Meccan Trade and the Rise of Islam, Princeton UP, 1987, pp. 231?
- Fred Donner, The Early Islamic Conquests, Princeton University Press, 1981, ch. VI, pp. 251?
- Arthur Goldschmidt Jr., 'Islamic Civilization', A Concise History of the Middle East, ch. 8
- Yacov Lev, 'The Ruling Circles', State and Society in Fatimid Egypt, E.J. Brill, Leiden, 1991, ch. 4
- B. Lewis, 'Slavery', from Race and Slavery in the Middle East, Oxford, 1994, ch. 1
- Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Science and Civilization in Islam, New York, 1968, Introduction
- Pact of Umar: The Status of Non-Muslims under Muslim Rule
- M. Rodinson, Muhammad, Pantheon Books, 1980, pp. 38?
- J. Schacht, 'Law and Justice', from the Cambridge Encyclopaedia of Islam, Vol. II, pt VIII/ch. 4, pp. 539?
- David J. Wasserstein, 'The Caliphal Institution in al-Andalus until 422/1031', from The Caliphate in the West, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1993, ch. 1
- Gaston Wiet, 'The Golden Age of Arab and Islamic Culture', from Baghdad: Metropolis of the Abbasid Caliphate, University of Oklahoma Press, ch. 5
- J.J. Saunders, 'The Turkish Irruption', from A History of Medieval Islam, Routledge, London, ch. 9
- Hadia Dajani-Shakeel, 'Some Medieval Accounts of Salah al-Din's Recovery of Jerusalem (Al-Quds)', from Studia Palaestina, Hisham Nashabe (ed), Institute for Palestine Studies, Beirut, 1988
Emory International Law Review