Overview and entry requirements
The MSc in Global Public Policy provides students with a detailed and systematic understanding of a range of explanations for change and continuity in public policymaking in an interdisciplinary, global context. Merging the study of public policy theory, global governance, global advocacy, international relations, political economy and diplomacy to interrogate policy processes beyond the nation state.
This MSc programme puts at its heart the policy challenges of cross-cutting transnational issues in gender, climate change, resource geopolitics, nuclear proliferation, security and terrorism, sport, trade and economic governance. Students will be trained to critically evaluate and develop solutions for policy issues of global resonance that lay at the intersection of public, private and non-profit sectors.
Through its core modules, the Global Public Policy programme covers key concepts and theories that enable critical analysis of a given policy space and the complex and fractious processes by which policy is formulated, adopted and implemented at multiple levels of political authority. Students will learn to be cognisant of the impact of relations of power, including those between the global North and South, and to question the assumptions inherent to conventional approaches to policy analysis and management.
See Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD)
Start of programme: April / October
Mode of Attendance: Online Learning
- A minimum upper second class honours degree (or equivalent). We welcome applications from academically strong individuals from a wide variety of fields and backgrounds. Candidates with a lower class degree but with degree-relevant work experience may be considered.
- 2 years
Students will study one core modules and a range of elective modules on offer each session. There are also four research mini modules.
- 1 x core modules
- 3 x elective modules
- 4 x research mini modules
- 1 x dissertation
Students are required to rank three elective modules in preferred order from the below sample list for each study session following their core module. All modules are subject to availability and this list is not exhaustive from session to session.
The information on the programme page reflects the intended programme structure against the given academic session. If you are a current student you can find structure information on the previous year link at the top of the page or through your Department. Please read the important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules.
Teaching & Learning
This programme is taught 100% online through our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
In the VLE you will have access to learning materials and course resources anytime so you can fit your studies around your existing commitments. For each module, students will be provided with access, through both the SOAS Library and the University of London’s Online Library, to all necessary materials from a range of appropriate sources.
A key component of the student experience will be peer to peer learning, with students enrolled in discussion forums.
In addition to a dedicated Associate Tutor, a study timetable is provided for each module and for the overall programme to help you to organise your time.
The programme is broken down into two study sessions per year. Each subject module lasts 16 weeks, followed by a research mini module lasting 8 weeks.
Sample study timetable
|Research mini module
Each module is assessed by five written online assessments (‘e-tivities’*) comprising of 30%, the remaining 70% is formed of a 5,000 word essay.The e-tivities provide formative and summative feedback to students as a means of monitoring their progress and encouraging areas in which they can improve.
* An 'e-tivity' is a framework for online, active and interactive learning following a format that states clearly to the students its 'Purpose'; the 'Task' at hand; the contribution or 'Response' type; and the 'Outcome' (Salmon, G. (2002) E-tivities: The Key to Active Online Learning, New York and London: Routledge Falmer.)
Research training and dissertation
Research training is a key feature of this programme, the dissertation module is presented in four development parts, which will follow each of your module sessions. Research modules one and three are formative modules only, and are not assessed.
The dissertation is assessed by the submission of a written dissertation of no more than 15,000 words, excluding the bibliography and appendices, which will account for 85% of the mark awarded for the module (research module four). The remaining 15% of the module mark will be based on the mark obtained for a 1,500 word research proposal (research module two).
The research proposal is compulsory for students going on to do a PGDip or MA; MA students must submit a dissertation at the end of research module four.
*Only applicable to Global Diplomacy: South Asia and Global Diplomacy: Middle East & North Africa.
PG Dip and PG Cert are available as exit awards and interested students should be in touch directly with the course team at email@example.com
Note this is a new fee structure, students will continue their programme on the same fee structure throughout.
Pay as you learn
Our distance learning programmes can be paid in full at the time of enrolment or on a pay as you learn basis. Pay as you learn means you pay for modules prior to enrolment (£3,000).
If you have been a resident in England for 3 years you may be eligible. For more information, see please Fees and Finance.
Students from SOAS’s Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD) develop an in-depth understanding of international affairs, contemporary diplomatic practice and policy-makers. Graduates leave with a portfolio of transferable skills such as critical analysis, problem solving, negotiation and communication, all of which are valued by employers across a number of sectors.
Recent CISD graduates have been hired by:
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Ernst & Young
- European Centre for Democracy and Human Rights
- Government of India
- International Rescue Committee
- Medical Aid for Palestinians
- The Commonwealth
- UK National Commission for UNESCO
- United Nations
- World Food Programme
Find out about our Careers Service.
A Student's Perspective
I chose SOAS to study the MA International Studies and Diplomacy because the course is truly one of a kind. When searching for Masters courses, I could not find a similar one anywhere in the UK, let alone a better one!
Complete our online application form to apply now!
If you have any question, please complete our Global Diplomacy (Distance Learning) Enquiry Form.
For application and enrolment deadlines, as well as session start/end dates, please see our Key dates and Term dates page.
Your completed application will be reviewed by a member of academic staff. If your application is successful, we will send you an official offer within ten working days and you will be asked to submit the relevant supporting documentation. Once in receipt of our offer, we recommend submitting your documents immediately.
Supporting documentation for applications
Only scans of original documents will be accepted. We do not accept black and white scanned photocopies. Please send your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you include your full name, student number and the programme you are applying for in the subject line. Please note that we reserve the right to ask for certified copies of the original documents, if necessary.
1. Degree certificates
We require documentation confirming the award of all qualifications listed in your application, which can either be your certificate or academic transcript. This must show: the name of the university, programme studied and the grade/classification you attained. If your university cannot issue official documents in English, we will require a certified translation in English of your degree certificate/transcript.
2. Copy of an identification document (Full name and date of birth)
Please submit full-colour photocopied evidence of your full name (including any changes) and your date of birth. This must be one of the following:
- Full name and date of birth Birth certificate
- National identification card
- UK driving license
- Alien registration certificate
If you have changed your name, please supply one of the following to reflect this change:
- Marriage certificate
- Deed poll
- Statutory declaration
3. Copy of English language proficiency certificate
If your degree was not taught and assessed in English, you will need to submit evidence of your English language competency. This should be either an IELTS or TOEFL certificate (you will need an IELTS overall score of 7.0 and 7 in both reading and writing).
We may also request that you provide us with references in support of your application. They should be from an individual who knows you on an academic basis. However, if you graduated more than three years ago we will accept a professional reference. Your reference should include an opinion (in English) on your academic and personal suitability for the proposed programme of study. Please note that, if necessary, we reserve the right to verify your qualifications with the relevant awarding body and to request further information from you about your background. Only scans of original documents will be accepted. We do not accept black and white scanned photocopies.
Please include a detailed CV that lists your employment and educational background including dates.