Presidential Peacemaking in the Twentieth Century
This research project investigates the role that American presidents played in peacemaking in the Twentieth Century (2010-2013). The United States was materially involved in three global conflicts in the twentieth century: The First and Second World Wars, and the Cold War. While a multitude of contextual factors were at play when each reached a dénouement, in each case an American President was crucial in the peace that emerged. This project investigates what draws Presidents to act as "peacemakers”; what opportunities it presents to further their own and US interests, with a view to establishing principles of Presidential Peacemaking.
Dr J Simon Rofe, in support of this project, has been awarded a Leverhulme Overseas Fellowship (£21967) for this research project. The fellowship was based at the Scowcroft Institute of Bush School of Government and Public Policy, at Texas A&M College Station co-located with The George Bush Presidential Library, during the fall of 2010.
For further information about the programme contact research lead Dr. J Simon Rofe.
Publications and presentations
- "Presidential Peacemaking: President George H.W. Bush and the End of the Cold War” in Ranking the Presidents, Iwan Morgan and Michael Cullinane (eds.), 2012, (forthcoming).
- "Trust between Adversaries and Allies: President George H.W. Bush, Trust and the End of the Cold War” in ’Trust, but Verify’: The Politics of Uncertainty and the Transformation of the Cold War Order, 1969-1991, Martin Klimke, Reinhild Kreis and Christian Ostermann (eds.), (Washington DC: German Historical Institute and Woodrow Wilson Center, 2012) (forthcoming).
- "End and Ends: the Cold War in International History at systemic and sub-systemic levels" in Nexus Years in the Cold War, Lorenz Luthi ed. (Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press, 2012). (forthcoming)
- "Presidential Peacemaking: President George H.W. Bush and the End of the Cold War” ‘Ranking the Presidents Colloquium’, University of Northumbria, February 2012.·
- "Trust between Adversaries and Allies: President George H.W. Bush, Trust and the End of the Cold War” US Foreign Policy Group conference University of Oxford, September 2011
- Presentation to Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker, Dean of Scowcroft Institution, Texas A&M College Station, December 2010