Corporate finance and financial accounting
- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 2
- Taught in:
- Term 2
Module sign-up information for non-departmental open option students
- Required approval: Approval is required from the Law and Social Sciences Faculty Office
- Required pre-requisite module(s): 151030001, 151030002, 151030007
- Year of study: 2 or 3/Final
- Maximum number of non-departmental students permitted per year: 10
- Weekly timetable: One lecture (2 hours) and one tutorial (1 hour)
Further information on open open modules can be found here
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of this course students should be able to:
- Understand the roles of risk and return in corporate finance and the distinction between risk and uncertainty;
- Measure and value capital, including fixed capital (gross and net), working capital and intangibles;
- Understand the cost of debt and equity capital and the advantages and disadvantages of different types of capital finance;
- Understand portfolio theory;
- Carry out investment appraisal using different techniques and will be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of different methods;
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of consolidation of accounts and international investment;
- Demonstrate knowledge of risk management techniques and disclosure requirements;
- Understand the rationale for mergers and acquisitions and knowledge of the empirical evidence;
- Demonstrate knowledge of the regulation of the financial system;
Method of assessment
This course is assessed by 30% written coursework and 70% by one two hour examination
- Watson, D. and Head, A. (2009) Corporate Finance Principles and Practice, Pearson.
- Alexander, D. and Nobes, C. (2010) Financial Accounting: An International Introduction, FT Press.
- Arnold, G. (2009) The Financial Times Guide to Investing, Pearson.
- Brealey, R. and Myers, S. (2010) Principles of Corporate Finance—Global Edition, McGraw-Hill.
- Das, S. (2012) Extreme Money: The Masters of the Universe and the Cult of Risk, Pearson.
- Perks, R. and Leiwy, D. (2010) Accounting: Understanding & Practice, McGraw-Hill.
- Nofsinger, K., Kim, J.R. and Mohr, D.J. (2010) Corporate Governance, International Edition, Pearson.
- Rice, A. (2011) Accounts Demystified: The Astonishingly Simple Guide To Accounting, Pearson.
- Watson, D. and Head, A. (2011) Corporate Finance Passnotes, Pearson.