- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Final Year
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This is a compulsory module for all final-year students taking the translation pathway for BA Linguistics and […], who will have the valuable experience of translating an extended piece of work of their own choice, from English into a chosen Asian or African language or vice verse. Students are also required to reflect on the translation process and strategy in the form of a long commentary following the translated work.
Students are required to take Introduction to Research (152900121) in their second year before taking this module. They are strongly advised to start planning for Translation Project in Term 2 of Year 2. They should discuss their choice of source text at an early stage with the programme convenor and potential supervisors and must submit to the programme convenor a project proposal together with the (link) to the source text for approval.
Points to note for students:
- In the proposal, you should specify from which language into which language they will translate (one should be English).
- Decide what kind of ST you choose.
- You need to choose a ST that has never been published in your TL.
- Based on what theory and/or method do you translate and write your commentary?
- 60% of your dissertation mark will be based on your translation.
- The commentary should be an analytic description of your translation process.