H448 Rulers, Rebels and Scholars in Early Islam (II)
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2019/2020
- Year of study:
- Year 2 or Year 3
- Taught in:
- Full Year
To be taken with H448 Rulers, Rebels and Scholars in Early Islam, 600-1200 (i)
- This Module is capped at 15 places.
- Students enrol via the on-line Module Sign-Up system. Students are advised of the timing of this process via email by the Faculty Office
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course, a student should…
- have acquired a strong and detailed understanding of the narrative of Islamic history to 1200
- have a firm knowledge of the key aspects of religious and intellectual developments of the period
- have gained a good understanding of the pertinent primary and secondary source
- be able to critically assess prevailing approaches to the subjects covered, and
- be able to write a competent well-structured essay making substantial use of primary materials.
Method of assessment
This involves the writing of a 10,000 word essay, which has to be based on primary sources. 100% Coursework. There is no written examination. Except in the case of Independent Study Projects (ISPs), they must be taken in conjunction with the corresponding Advanced-level course; the two units together constitute a Special Subject.