- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Term 1
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course, students will:
- Identify and evaluate argument and the use of evidence in academic and other writing.
- Construct convincing arguments, combining critical insight and a command of relevant evidence.
- Demonstrate a command of grammar and style appropriate to writing at the undergraduate level.
- Design and research a short piece of academic writing.
- Present work effectively, in different written formats and in oral presentations.
- Provide constructive feedback on the work of colleagues, in person and in writing
- Revise their work effectively and efficiently, on the basis of self-evaluation and critical feedback.
Scope and syllabus
2. What is good writing?
3. Making an argument
4. Revising your work
5. Finding a topic
6. Reviewing the literature
7. Gathering your evidence
8. First drafts
9. Presenting your work
10. Responding to criticism
Method of assessment
- Peer review of two draft essays (FE3) by classmates of 2 x 500 words - worth 10%
- Assigned essay on theme of course of 800 words - worth 20%
- Peer review of 2 x draft essay 2 of 2 x 500 words - worth 10%
- Researched essay on theme of course of 1,500 words - worth 40%
- Presentation of draft research essay - worth 10%
- Seminar participation - worth 10%
Core reading is restricted to texts on writing:
Students to buy:
- S. Pinker. The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person's Guide to Writing in the 21st Century. 2014 (required).
- Anne Lamott. Bird by Bird: Instructions on Writing and Life. 1994 (recommended).
Additional (used as extracts for class discussion in class or by instructors in preparing the class):
- Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein. “They Say / I Say”: The Moves that Matter in Academic Writing. 2014.
- Katherine Gottschalk and Keith Hjortshoj. The Elements of Teaching Writing. 2003.
- Keith Hjortshoj. The Transition to College Writing. 2009.
- William Zinsser. On Writing Well, 30th Anniversary Edition. 2012.