H400 Special Subject Dissertation
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Final Year
- Taught in:
- Full Year
The Special Subject Dissertation enables students to deepen their understanding of a selected topic from their H300-level Special Subject taught module. It provides an opportunity to extend their learning, to explore a wider range of sources and to pursue a topic of interest to them. The 400 level unit is not assessed by examination, but solely by the writing of a 10,000 word dissertation, supervised by the convenor of their H300-level module.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
- design and carry out a substantial piece of research, based on an in-depth study of a special subject related to the History of Asia, Africa and the Middle East;
- critical analyse primary material, handle complex data, and synthesise and appreciate a wider range of secondary literature;
- demonstrate mastery of skills involved in the planning and execution of an extended piece of historical writing, the construction of longer bibliographies and the use of appropriate and accurate systems of referencing;
- to refine the skills necessary to present the research outcome in an appealing and coherent way.
Method of assessment
- 10,000-word dissertation (100%)