Digital Skills and Technology
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Term 1
In this module, students develop core skills and competencies relating to digital technology and media, including basic coding, website design, video production and editing, and sound recording and production. An introduction is provided to key contemporary concepts related to our digital age and the impact of digital technology on societies. Students apply the skills and competencies that they have developed in the creation of a digital portfolio. They are encouraged to think about their online self-presentation through social media and other networking tools. The skills and competencies developed during the module are used by students in other Foundation Year modules and during subsequent years of undergraduate study.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate core skills and competencies relating to digital technology and media.
2. Employ those skills and competencies in the creation of a digital portfolio.
3. Apply key concepts relating to the impact of digital technology on societies.
Explain how the learning outcomes fit with the programme(s) for which the module will be available:
Digital skills training is one of FY programme aims.
- Seminars: 2 hours per week
Scope and syllabus
- Key concepts: digital age; network society
- Basic coding
- Website design
- Social media
- Microsoft Office skills
- Video production and editing
- Sound recording and production
- Digital portfolios
- Marketing oneself: CVs, online profiles
Method of assessment
- Digital portfolio: (100%)