Directed Study in Creative Industries
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Year 3
- Taught in:
- Full Year
An extended essay, in which students develop, research and write up individual topics in the global creative industries, working in consultation with a supervisor. Students may, if appropriate, base their study on direct engagement with an Arts organisation. Topics and themes may focus on (but are not limited to) the following themes as they relate to specific case studies:
- the role of creative industries in defining and articulating (sub)-cultural identities
- relationships between the arts and global and local forces including political power structures, gender, nationalism, and transnational flows;
- the roles of Arts organisations and enterprises and relationships with audiences, consumers and artists
- issues arising from the preparation and staging of exhibitions, performances, and media productions.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
- Gain experience of independent, in-depth research on a specified topic in creative industries.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of a selected aspect of the creative industries, and related cultures and communities.
- Develop the ability to engage in independent research, involving combination of library work, fieldwork and possibly relevant work or performance experience.
- Develop critical and writing skills, including analysis, synthesis of sources, evaluation of concepts, problem solving, critical literature review, resource discovery (electronic and print) etc.
Two one-hour seminars and three one-hour tutorials spread across the year.
Scope and syllabus
This module forms part of the 3rd year of BA Global Popular Music and BA Creative Arts. It builds on the theoretical and regional taught courses taken in years 1 and 2, and allows students to apply the subject-based research and analytical skills they have learned on these courses in the context of a substantial piece of supervised independent research.
Method of assessment
One 3,000-word project write-up (worth 100%)