- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 2 or Year 3
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module provides teaching and learning of upper intermediate (Independent user CEFR B2) and advanced (proficient user CEFR C1) level Turkish language. It covers a wide variety of newspaper, academic and literary texts covering a wide variety of topics. Teaching covers reading,writing, listening and speaking as well as linguistic analysis of texts.
Successful completion of Turkish 2 or the equivalent standard of Turkish is required.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, the student should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of advanced Turkish grammar
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of a substantial range of Turkish vocabulary
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of a substantial range of Turkish texts
- demonstrate ability to produce written Turkish at advanced level
- demonstrate ability to communicate in Turkish at advanced level
A total of 22 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week. Students are expected to complete regular assignments to improve skills in reading, writing, translation and conversation.
Scope and syllabus
Reading: Material written in a variety of styles is studied through reading selected texts. The development of the language is studied extensively through representative samples.
Writing: This skill is developed through writing essays on abstract and complex topics. Emphasis is placed on precise use of syntax and idiomatic expressions.
Oral-Aural: More advanced communicative and descriptive skills are developed. Students are expected to put forward persuasive and clear arguments in Turkish in class discussions.
Method of assessment
- An oral examination in May-June (20%)
- One unseen written exam in May-June (80%)
- Anday, M. C., 1975. Dilimiz ÃœstÃ¼ne KonusÃ§malar. Ankara: Türk Dil Kurumu.
- Aksoy, Ã–. A., 1982. Dil GercÃ§eÂ©i. Ankara: Türk Dil Kurumu.
- Dil Yazâˆ«larâˆ«, 1974. 2 vols. Ankara: TÃ¼rk Dili Kurumu.
- TimurtasÃ§, F. K., 1977. TÃ¼rkcÃ§emiz ve Uydurmacâˆ«lâˆ«k. Istanbul: BoÂ©azicÃ§i Yayâˆ«nlarâˆ«.