Advanced Turkish Language
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2016/2017
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 2 or Year 3
- Taught in:
- Full Year
The course provides teaching and learning of upper intermediate (Independent user CEFR B2) and advanced (proficient user CEFR C1) level Turkish language. It covers a wide variety of newspaper, academic and literary texts covering a wide variety of topics. Teaching covers reading,writing, listening and speaking as well as linguisticanalysis of texts.
Successful completion of Intermediate Modern Turkish language or the equivalent standard of Turkish is required.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of advanced Turkish grammar
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of a substantial range of Turkish vocabulary
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of a substantial range of Turkish texts
- demonstrate ability to produce written Turkish at advanced level
- demonstrate ability to communicate in Turkish at advanced level
A total of 22 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week. Students are expected to complete regular assignments to improve skills in reading, writing, translation and conversation.
Scope and syllabus
Reading: Material written in a variety of styles is studied through reading selected texts. The development of the language is studied extensively through representative samples.
Writing: This skill is developed through writing essays on abstract and complex topics. Emphasis is placed on precise use of syntax and idiomatic expressions.
Oral-Aural: More advanced communicative and descriptive skills are developed. Students are expected to put forward persuasive and clear arguments in Turkish in class discussions.
Method of assessment
One written paper (80% of the final mark), one oral examination (20%), both in May-June.
- Anday, M. C., 1975. Dilimiz ÃœstÃ¼ne KonusÃ§malar. Ankara: Türk Dil Kurumu.
- Aksoy, Ã–. A., 1982. Dil GercÃ§eÂ©i. Ankara: Türk Dil Kurumu.
- Dil Yazâˆ«larâˆ«, 1974. 2 vols. Ankara: TÃ¼rk Dili Kurumu.
- TimurtasÃ§, F. K., 1977. TÃ¼rkcÃ§emiz ve Uydurmacâˆ«lâˆ«k. Istanbul: BoÂ©azicÃ§i Yayâˆ«nlarâˆ«.