Vietnamese Language 1
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of basic Vietnamese grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Vietnamese vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Vietnamese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Vietnamese on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Vietnamese on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Vietnamese and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
Total of 20 weeks teaching with 4 hours of language classes per week.
Scope and syllabus
This is a language module in Vietnamese for beginners. It aims to equip the student with a command of the script and sound system, and a useful range of vocabulary and grammatical structures. It provides practice in speaking and oral comprehension, with simple conversations and listening material; and in reading and writing of the language.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (70%); one 15 minute oral examination (20%); in class tests throughout the module (10%).