- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Full Year
None. Available as an open option course to students on other degrees within SOAS.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of basic Somali grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Somali vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Somali structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Somali on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Somali on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Somali and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
This course will be taught 2 evenings a week during term time and with an intensive week in the 3rd term before the exams.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%); one oral examination taken in May/June (30%); course assessment (10%).
- Colloquial Somali (M. Orwin; Routledge, London; 1995).