- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Full Year
None. Available as an open option to students on other degrees within SOAS.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of basic Somali grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Somali vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Somali structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Somali on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Somali on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Somali and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%); a 15 minute oral examination taken in May/June (30%); in class tests (10%).
- Colloquial Somali (M. Orwin; Routledge, London; 1995).