- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of basic Amharic grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Amharic vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Amharic structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Amharic on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Amharic on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Amharic and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The module aims to provide students with a basic practical knowledge of the Amharic language to an introductory level, including functional ability in the script, the fundamental grammatical structures of the language, and a target vocabulary of around 1000 items.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%); one oral examination of 15 minutes duration taken in May/June (30%); in class tests (10%).