- Module Code:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Written language competence is reinforced through the study of grammar, related exercises, prose and unseen translation, with particular emphasis on developing mastery of syntax and widening active vocabulary. Letter writing skills are introduced in the 2nd term. Oral competence is developed in conversation classes and by using audio material. It is reinforced through transformation and other drills in class.
Arabic 1 (or equivalent standard).
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Arabic grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Arabic vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Arabic structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and to produce passages written in Arabic of medium length on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to understand spoken Arabic and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to translate from and to Arabic of medium length with use of appropriate language on everyday and some specialized topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 5 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
A graded internally-produced module is followed.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination, consisting of passages for translation (60%); an oral examination (10%); and two tests per teaching term together with smaller assessments throughout the year (30%).