J100: Elementary Japanese
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Full Year
No prior knowledge of Japanese was required when you applied to SOAS. However, from the first day of the teaching term, you will need to be able to read and write the hiragana and katakana scripts. You will be given guidance about using and writing Japanese scripts in class, but memorizing hiragana and katakana before you arrive at SOAS will give your studies a great boost. Even if you have some previous knowledge of written Japanese, please revise and consolidate your knowledge before you arrive. Please click the '2018 Welcome Letter' link on the right hand side on this page for more information.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be expected to have:
- knowledge and understanding of elementary Japanese grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a basic range of Japanese vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a limited range of Japanese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and to produce passages written in Japanese of short length on everyday situations
- the ability to understand spoken Japanese and to engage in basic spoken discourse on everyday situations
- the ability to translate from and to Japanese of short length with use of appropriate language on everyday situations
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 10 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
This module is designed for students who have no or limited knowledge of Japanese language. It is an integrated introduction to modern Japanese which aims to develop basic speaking, listening, reading, writing and mediation (translation to and from Japanese/English) skills.
The module covers two to three chapters per week from the textbook 'Minna no Nihongo'.
Method of assessment
Two three-hour written examinations taken in May/June (35% each); continuous assessment including regular tests and assignments (10%); two review tests (10%); listening and orals tasks (10%).
- Minna no Nihongo Shokyu Vol.1 & 2 Textbook [2nd version]
- Minna no Nihongo Elementary Japanese Vol.1 & 2 [2nd version]: Translation & Grammar Notes-English
- Supplementary materials: SOAS Workbooks