J100: Accelerated Elementary Japanese
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2019/2020
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Evidence of prior knowledge of Japanese. There will be a placement test at the beginning of the year. Please click the '2017 Welcome Letter' link on the right hand side on this page for more information.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be expected to have:
- knowledge and understanding of elementary Japanese grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a basic range of Japanese vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a limited range of Japanese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and to produce passages written in Japanese of short length on everyday situations
- the ability to understand spoken Japanese and to engage in basic spoken discourse on everyday
- the ability to translate from and to Japanese of short length with use of appropriate language on everyday
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 7 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
This module is designed for students who have some prior knowledge of Japanese language. It is an integrated introduction to modern Japanese which aims to further develop basic speaking, listening, reading, writing and mediation (translation to and from Japanese/English) skills.
The module covers two to three chapters per week from the textbook 'Minna no Nihongo'.
Method of assessment
Two three-hour written examinations (30% each); continuous assessment including regular tests and assignments (10%); two review tests (10%); listening and oral tasks (10%); language learning diary (10%).
- Minna no Nihongo Shokyu Vol.1 & 2 Textbook [2nd version]
- Minna no Nihongo Elementary Japanese Vol.1 & 2 [2nd version]: Translation & Grammar Notes-English
- Supplementary materials: SOAS Workbooks