- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module is a continuation of Arabic 100. It completes the coverage of the grammar and syntax of Modern Standard Arabic and trains students in reading, comprehending and writing with the help of a dictionary more complex Arabic sentences and passages.
Satisfactory completion of Arabic 100 or equivalent.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Arabic grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Arabic vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Arabic structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Arabic of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages in written Arabic of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Arabic and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
A total of 22 weeks teaching with 5 hours classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination in May-June (70% of final marks) and one two-hour test at the end of term 1 (15%), one two hour test at the end of term 2 (15%).
- Arabiyyat Al-Naas - Part two - Munther Younes and Hanada Al-Masri
The module convenor will also provide additional texts from contemporary Arabic media.