Punjabi Language 1
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2018/2019
- Taught in:
- Full Year
The module will provide an introduction to the Punjabi language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Punjabi. Communicative practice will be established through learning language around dialogues dealing with a range of everyday situations and topics.
The module will include: learning to read and write the Punjabi script; phonology; basic grammar and vocabulary; all main verb tenses and grammatical constructions. Sessions will be highly interactive in encouraging students to focus on the key skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking. Instruction in the language will also be a vehicle for introducing further aspects of Punjabi culture.
The module allows students to interact with Punjabi speakers in Punjabi and to use original Punjabi language sources within the level covered in the module.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of basic Punjabi grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Punjabi vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Punjabi structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Punjabi on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Punjabi on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Punjabi and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written exam (60%) and one oral exam (20%) taken in May/June. Two one-hour written tests in week 2 of Term 2 and the week after Reading Week in Term 2, counting for 10% each. These tests will be on vocabulary acquisition, comprehension or specific language structures and will be agreed in class beforehand. 20% of total mark (10% each).
- S.S. Kalra, N. K. Purewal with Sue Tyson-Ward (2011) Complete Panjabi, Hodder and Stoughton.