Hindi Language 3
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2022/2023
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 3
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Hindi 2 or equivalent intermediate knowledge of Hindi.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
The objectives of the module are to equip students with:
- the ability to understand straightforward Hindi spoken at near-normal speed and converse on everyday topics with reasonable accuracy and fluency
- the ability to understand Hindi as spoken in a range of media
- the ability to read/translate/summarize/extract information from straightforward authentic texts written in Hindi
- the ability to express their opinions in Hindi on a broad range of topics
- the ability to write essays in Hindi presenting reasoned arguments
At the end of a module, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- a level of passive and active Hindi vocabulary appropriate for an advanced learner
- an ability to understand spoken Hindi and engage in discussion and exchange of views on a broad range of topics
- an ability to understand Hindi as spoken in a range of media, especially films
- an ability to read, extract information from and translate into English passages of authentic Hindi written in a variety of styles and drawn from a wide range of sources
- an ability to translate English to Hindi, using correct grammar and spelling
- an ability to write expository essays in Hindi on a variety of subjects
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The module aims at improving aural and spoken competence of intermediate level students. The focus will be on aural comprehension and on conversation. A range of audiovisual and written materials taken from Hindi media will also be used. Regular homework will include written assignments and oral presentations.
This module is compulsory for students of BA Hindi Pathway.
Method of assessment
- one three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50%)
- an essay of 400 (in Hindi) to be submitted term 1 (10%)
- an essay of 400 (in Hindi) to be submitted term 2 (10%)
- one oral presentation in Term 2 (10%)
- one oral examination of approximately 30 minutes to be taken in May/June (20%)