- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Please note that on line registration alone will not give you an automatic right to attend the module. Please read PDF for the procedure you need to follow to finalise your module choice. You can download the Registration form online.
Which level am I?
The following sample tests (1 to 4) are a reading comprehension of the final examination in each module. They should give you some ideas as to which module you will be taking.
- If you understand the sample test 1 with relative ease you will be ready to attend Japanese 2.
- If you understand the sample test 2 with relative ease you will be ready to attend Japanese 3.
- If you understand the sample test 3 with relative ease you will be ready to attend Japanese 4.
- If you understand the sample test 4with relative ease you will be ready to attend Japanese 5.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
The objective of the module is to attain the lower intermediate level of the target language by
- consolidating the linguistic knowledge of the basic level
- preparing for the next level, Japanese 2, where near-authentic materials are used
At the end of a module, a student should be able to demonstrate
- moderate competence in the target language
- the ability to understand, express and communicate using the target language in limited situations related to topics which are familiar, or of personal interest.
- an intercultural awareness and knowledge of cultural background to enable him/her to engage in appropriate manner.
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The module will include
- approximately 700 Chinese characters in total
- linguistic knowledge of lower intermediate level
- listening, speaking, writing, reading and translating skills
Method of assessment
One three-hour written exam taken in May/June (80%); continuous assessment consisting of regular assignments, regular tests and review tests; homework and quizzes (20%).