Intermediate Japanese 2
- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Intermediate Japanese 1 or equivalent
Please note that online registration alone will not give you an automatic right to attend the module.
If you have any previous knowledge of Japanese language (including private tuition and self-study), you are required to take a placement test that will take place during the Welcome Week, Wednesday 28th September 2016 between 11:00-12:30 at B102. The test includes the following: reading comprehension, Japanese to English translation and a short composition.
You must download and complete the Registration form here to bring to the test. For further enquiries about registration, please contact Misako Kanehisa (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Which level am I?
The following sample tests (1 to 4) are a reading comprehension of the final examination in each module. They should give you some ideas as to which module you will be taking.
- If you understand the sample test 1 with relative ease you will be ready to attend Basic Japanese 2.
- If you understand the sample test 2 with relative ease you will be ready to attend Intermediate Japanese 1.
- If you understand the sample test 3 with relative ease you will be ready to attend Intermediate Japanese 2.
- If you understand the sample test 4 with relative ease you will be ready to attend Advanced Japanese; Contemporary Texts (previously called Intermediate Japanese 3).
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of a module, a student should be able to demonstrate
- moderate competence in the target language
- the ability to understand, express and communicate using the target language in most situations related to topics which are familiar, or of personal interest
- using near-authentic materials to enable interaction with real Japanese situations
- intercultural awareness and knowledge of cultural background to enable him/her to engage in appropriate manner.
This module is taught over 22 weeks with 3 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The objective of the module is to attain the intermediate level of the target language by:
- consolidating the linguistic knowledge of the basic level and Intermediate Japanese 1
- preparing for the next level, Advanced Japanese: Contemporary Topics, where authentic materials are used
The module will include
- approximately 1000 Chinese characters in total
- linguistic knowledge of intermediate level
- listening, speaking, writing, reading and translating skills
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (70%); continuous assessment including quizzes, tests, assignments, oral presentations and class performances (30%).