- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 3 of 3
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module provides teaching and learning of advanced level Zulu language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Zulu. It covers complex written and spoken structures as well as extended textual study of Zulu writing and discourse. Communicative practice and structural knowledge is established through reading and discussing a variety of Zulu texts dealing with specialised topics and of intermediate to extended length and complexity.
Zulu 2 or equivalent language level.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of this module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of advanced Zulu grammar
- knowledge and understanding of an extensive range of Zulu vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of an extensive range of Zulu structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Zulu of medium to extended length on specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages in written Zulu of medium to extended length on specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Zulu and to engage in spoken discourse of medium to high complexity on specialised topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week consisting of a 3 hour lecture.
Scope and syllabus
This module provides students with advanced knowledge of Zulu and practice of using Zulu in a variety of specialised situations, including the understanding and expression of complex arguments and different points of view. It allows students to interact with Zulu speakers in Zulu and to use original Zulu language sources within the level covered in the module. It provides students with an extended basis to approach research topics relating to Zulu language and the histories, societies and cultures associated with Zulu.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50%); one oral examination of 15 minutes duration taken in May/June (20%); continuous assessment in the form of homework, class tests and translations (10%).
The module will be based on
- Mostert, Carola, Zulu 3 Course Materials, London, SOAS
and additional materials which will be made available throughout.
Additional Zulu References
Zulu Learning Resources
- Speak Zulu with Us (Advanced). CD Rom. African Voices, Diep River.
- Nxumalo, Thandiwe and Samuel D. Cioran. 1996. Funda IsiZulu! – Learn Zulu!: An Introduction to Zulu. Hamilton, Ontario: WXY Media for Juta Academic Publishing.
- Townshend, J.B., 1993, Phezulu: Practical, Handy, Easy Zulu: A Beginner’s course 3rd ed., Pietermaritzburg etc.: Shuter & Shooter.
- Wilkes, Arnett and Nicholias Nkosi. 1995. Teach Yourself Zulu. London: Hodder Headline.
- C M Doke, D M Malcolm, J M A Sikakana, B W Vilakazi, 1996, English-Zulu/Zulu-English Dictionary, Witwatersrand University Press. (ISBN: 1868141608)
- Canoninci, Noveroni N. 1990. The Zulu Folktale Durban: Zulu Language and Literature, University of Natal.
- Canoninci, Noveroni N. 1995. Zulu Grammatical Structure. Durban: Zulu Language and Literature, University of Natal.
- Doke, Clement. 1931. Text-book of Zulu grammar. London : Longmans.
- Doke, Clement. 1954. The Southern Bantu languages. London : OUP.
- Hlongwane, J. B., ed. 1998. Some issues in African linguistics : Festschrift for A.C. Nkabinde. Pretoria : J.L. van Schaik.
- Nkabinde, A. C., ed. 1988. Anthology of articles on African linguistics and literature : a Festschrift to C.L.S. Nyembezi. Johannesburg : Lexicon.
- Poulos, George. 1982. Issues in Zulu relativization. Grahamstown : Dept. of African Languages, Rhodes University.
- Poulos, George and Sonja E. Bosch. 1997. Zulu. München; Newcastle: LINCOM Europa.
- Poulos, George and Christian T. Msimang. 1998. A linguistic analysis of Zulu. Pretoria : Via Afrika.
- Taljaard, P. C. and Sonja E. Bosch. 1988. Handbook of isiZulu. Pretoria : J.L. Van Schaik
Texts and critical editions
- Gunner, Liz and Mafika Gwala, eds. 1991, Musho: Zulu Popular Praises. East Lansing: Michigan State University. (Zulu and English texts)
- Koopman, Adrian, 2002, Zulu Names, Pietermaritzburg: University of Natal Press.
- Masondo, M. M. 1998. One-act plays : a collection of one-act stage, radio and TV plays. Pretoria : Academica. (translated from Zulu)
- Rycroft, D.K. and A.B. Ngcobo, eds., 1988, The Praises of Dingane. Izibongo zikaDingane, Durban: Killie Campbell Africana Library.
- Schlosser, Katesa, ed. 1997. Zulu mythology / as written and illustrated by the Zulu prophet Laduma Madela. [translated by Vincent Zanoxolo Gitywa]. Kiel : Schmidt & Klaunig. (English and Zulu text)