K301: Korean Readings
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Year 3 of 4 or Year 4 of 4
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Successful completion of Intermediate Korean or equivalent (module convenor's approval required)
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of a module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- a knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Korean structures and expressions in a given context
- The ability to understand passages in written Korean of medium to increased length on everyday and some specialised topics
- The ability to understand/translate/summarize/extract information/draw inferences from Korean texts drawn from a range of sources
- The ability to use acquired strategies for working independently on Korean written texts
- The ability to produce texts in written Korean of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The module provides extensive practice specifically in reading skills and aims at bridging the intermediate level and the advanced level where independent use of authentic texts is expected.
It will provide additional practice of linguistic structures and also an initial training in the reading of relatively naturalistic texts. Students will be encouraged to appreciate not only structural, but also stylistic and cultural issue of the texts.
Resources will include near authentic to authentic materials dealing with current issues in the Korean culture and society. It allows students to interact with Korean speakers in Korean and to use original Korean language sources within the level covered in the module. This provides students with a basis to approach research topics relating to Korean language and the societies and cultures associated with Korea.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (80%); an essay of 600-800 words in Korean to be submitted on day 1, week 1, term 2 (10%); an essay of 600-800 words in Korean to be submitted on day 1, week 1, terms 3 (10%).
1) The module will be based on
Extracts from near authentic to authentic materials and additional materials which will be made available throughout the module.
2) Additional Korean References
- S.Park (2009) Hanguk Hangugin , Beatuful Korean School
- Y.Kwon etc. (2009) Hanguk Munwha Ilki, Beautiful Korean School
- Ewha Language Center(2008) Dehak Hangugo Ilki Sugi 2, Epress
- Ewha Language Center(2008) Dehak Hangugo Ilki Sugi 1, Epress
- Y.Choi(2007) Hangugo Dokhe, Hanguk Muwhasa
- Y.Hoe(2007) Inmun Hangugo, Darakwon
- S.Kim etc. (2007) Sogang Hangugo 5B, Sogang University
- H.Cho etc. (2005) Hangugo ilki, Hawoo
- S.Lee etc. (2000) Exploring Korean, Minjung Seorim