Basic Korean I
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Year 1 or Year 2
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of a module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of basic Korean grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Korean vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Korean structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Korean on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Korean on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Korean and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
This module will be taught over 22 weeks teaching with four hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The module provides an introduction to Korean language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Korean. Communicative practice is established through learning language around dialogues dealing with a range of everyday situations, including traveling, buying and selling, etc.
The module provides students with a basic knowledge of Korean and practice of using Korean in a variety of everyday situations. It allows students to interact with Korean speakers in Korea and to use original Korean language sources within the level covered in the module.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (70%); a 15 minute oral presentation (10%); continuous assessment (20%).
Year 1 students who are in danger of failing a language open option can be permitted to discontinue the module from the end of term 1 and enroll instead on an essay-based 'Studies' module. Students must have attended 80% of the open option classes to be eligible. The Studies module will be assessed by two 2500 word essays.
The module will be based on
- Elementary Korean. King & Yeon. Tuttle Publishing Co. .
Also additional materials which will be made available throughout the module.
Additional Korean References
- Integrated Korean: Beginning Level 1 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Integrated Korean: Beginning Level 2 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Integrated Korean: Intermediate Level 1 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Pathfinder in Korean I: Beginning . The Institute of Language Education. Ewha Womans University Press
- Beautiful Korean Series. Korean Education Research Center. Beautiful Korea School Co. Ltd.
- The Sounds of Korean: A Pronunciation Guide. Miho Choo. University of Hawai’i Press
- Korean Grammar for International Learners. Ho Bin Ihm. Yonsei University Press
- The Korean Language. Iksop Lee, State University of New York Press
- The Korean language : structure, use and context . Jae Jung Song. Routledge
- Korean language in culture and society . University of Hawaii Press
- Frontiers of Korean language acquisition . Jae Jung Song. Saffron
- Korean : an essential grammar . Kim-Renaud. Routledge.