- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 2, Year 3 or Year 4
- Taught in:
- Full Year
The objective of the module is to attain the higher beginner level of Korean language by consolidating the linguistic knowledge of the basic level, whether acquired through ‘Korean I’ module or elsewhere, and preparing for the next level, ‘K200: Intermediate Korean’ module, where near-authentic materials are used.
Successful completion of Korean 1 or equivalent (module convenor's approval required).
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of a module, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of higher beginner Korean grammar
- knowledge and understanding of essential Korean vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Korean structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand higher beginner level of passages in written Korean on everyday topics
- the ability to produce higher beginner level of passages in written Korean on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Korean and to engage in higher beginner level of spoken discourse on everyday topics
This module will be taught over 22 weeks with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Scope and syllabus
Communicative practice is established through learning language around dialogues dealing with a range of everyday situations.
The module provides students with a lower Intermediate knowledge of Korean and practice of using Korean in a variety of everyday situations. It allows students to interact with Korean speakers in Korea and to use original Korean language sources within the level covered in the module.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (70%); an oral examination of 15 minutes taken in May/June (10%); continuous assessment throughout the module (20%).
The module will be based on
- Continuing Korean. King & Yeon. Tuttle Publishing Co.
- Also additional materials which will be made available throughout the module.
Additional Korean References
- Integrated Korean: Beginning Level 1 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Integrated Korean: Beginning Level 2 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Integrated Korean: Intermediate Level 1 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Pathfinder in Korean Series . The Institute of Language Education. Ewha Womans University Press Beautiful Korean Series. Korean Education Research Center. Beautiful Korea School Co. Ltd.
- Korean for Intermediate Learners 1.The National Institute of the Korean Language.
- The Sounds of Korean: A Pronunciation Guide. Miho Choo. University of Hawai’i Press
- Korean Grammar for International Learners. Ho Bin Ihm. Yonsei University Press
- The Korean Language. Iksop Lee, State University of New York Press
- The Korean language : structure, use and context . Jae Jung Song. Routledge
- Korean language in culture and society . University of Hawaii Press
- Frontiers of Korean language acquisition . Jae Jung Song. Saffron
- Korean : an essential grammar . Kim-Renaud. Routledge.