K100: Accelerated Elementary Korean
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2020/2021
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 1
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module is an intensive introduction to modern Korean language and aims to provide a solid foundation for a good elementary level of knowledge and language skills. At the end of this module, students should be able to demonstrate the knowledge and perform the skills in a real-life context.
Students will take a placement test to ensure that they are at the correct level before being accepted onto this module.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of basic Korean grammar
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of essential Korean vocabulary
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic Korean structures and expressions in a real-life context
- understand short passages in written Korean on everyday topics
- produce short passages in written Korean on everyday topics
- understand spoken Korean and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 8 hours language classes per week.
Scope and syllabus
Lesson 10 to Lesson 26 in the textbook 'Elementary Korean' will be covered on this module.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50%); an oral examination (10%); two presentations (10% averaged); four listening tests (20% averaged); continuous assessment (10%).
- Elementary Korean. King & Yeon. Tuttle Publishing Co.
- Continuing Korean. King & Yeon. Tuttle Publishing Co.
- Integrated Korean: Beginning Level 2 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Integrated Korean: Intermediate Level 1 . Yong-mee Cho. University of Hawai’i Press
- Korean for Intermediate Learners 1.The National Institute of the Korean Language. Hollym
- The Sounds of Korean: A Pronunciation Guide. Miho Choo. University of Hawai’i Press
- Sejong Korean series. National Institute of Korean Language. Hawoo
- The Korean Language. Iksop Lee, State University of New York Press
- The Korean language : structure, use and context . Jae Jung Song. Routledge
- Korean language in culture and society . University of Hawaii Press
- Frontiers of Korean language acquisition . Jae Jung Song. Saffron
- Korean :A Comprehensive Grammar. Yeon and Brown. Routledge