Directed readings in a South Asian Topic
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2019/20
- Year of study:
- Year 2, Year 3 or Year 4
To enable students, under expert guidance and supervision, to read and analyse representative samples of textual material in Bengali, Hindi, Nepali, Sanskrit or Urdu not taught elsewhere within the syllabus. The module will allow students to use South Asian language materials for topics and areas in line with their own academic interests. Topics and materials will be selected in consultation with the supervisor
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Read primary material in a South Asian language related to their own interest
- Locate the texts within the appropriate generic, intellectual, and historical frameworks
- Develop and test new critical approaches to the analysis of South Asian texts
This module is taught over the course of 10 weeks and consists of weekly 1-hour tutorials.
Scope and syllabus
The syllabus is determined by the student's own interests and needs and is agreed at the start of the module between student and supervisor.
Method of assessment
- Draft Essay proposal (1,000 words) (10%)
- One Essay (5,000 words) (90%)