K301 Korean Readings A
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 3, Year 3 of 4 or Year 4 of 4
- Taught in:
- Term 1
The module will provide extensive practice specifically in reading skills and aims at bridging the intermediate level and the advanced level where independent use of authentic texts is expected.
It will provide additional practice of linguistic structures and also an initial training in the reading of relatively naturalistic texts. Students will be encouraged to appreciate not only structural, but also stylistic and cultural issues of the texts.
Korean language at year 3 level.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Korean structures and expressions in a given context
- understand Korean passages of medium to increased length on everyday and some specialised topics
- understand/translate/summarize/extract information/draw inferences from Korean texts drawn from a range of sources
- use acquired strategies for working independently on Korean written texts
- produce texts in written Korean of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 2 hours classroom contact per week consisting of a 2 hour lecture.
Scope and syllabus
Readings will include near authentic to authentic materials dealing with current issues in Korean culture and society
Method of assessment
A text analysis of 600 - 800 words (20%); an end of term test (final week of term 1) for 90 minutes (80%).
Extracts from near authentic to authentic materials and additional materials which will be made available throughout the module.