J400: Advanced Japanese
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 3, Year 3 of 4 or Year 4 of 4
- Taught in:
- Term 1
This module aims to develop and consolidate students' advanced Japanese language knowledge and skills, including listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. It also aims to allow students to develop advanced mediation skills both from English to Japanese and from Japanese to English. The focus is on developing advanced transferable skills around language and communication that can be used in society and will increase students' employability.
The module content focuses on current issues in Japan, including social, political and environmental, and places them in a global context. Students will be encouraged to develop their critical reading and thinking skills, as well as advanced cross-linguistic and cross-cultural mediation skills, through reading comprehension, summarisation, discussion and academic writing in Japanese.
The aim will be to reach CEFR-level C1.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- read and understand authentic Japanese materials, including newspaper articles, research articles, white papers and statistical data with the help of dictionaries.
- express themselves cogently and coherently in Japanese, both orally and in writing.
- apply their knowledge and skills of Japanese, such as structures and registers, more naturally and appropriately.
- demonstrate broad knowledge and critical understanding of the cultures and societies of Japan.
- further develop their mediation skills from English to japanese, and from Japanese to English.
Total taught hours: 30 hours. 3 hours of seminars per week for 10 weeks.
Independent study: 120 hours
Total hours for module: 150 hours
Scope and syllabus
The syllabus content will vary from year to year, depending on which national and global issues are currently topical.
Method of assessment
Essay of 2500 to 3000 words (60%)
A 10 minutes oral presentation (20%)
Noriko Iwasaki, Yuri Kumagai. (2015). The Routledge intermediate to advanced Japanese reader : a genre-based approach to reading as a social practice. New York; Routledge.