Ch 303: Intermediate Modern Chinese Language (Translation)
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2020/2021
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 2, Year 3 of 3 or Year 4
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module is designed for students who have studied Mandarin Chinese for two years, and particularly for year 3 students of BA Chinese single subject and joint degree. The module covers basic theories of translation and offers different translation exercises from English into Chinese. Students will carry out oral and written translation practice through texts, grammar and vocabulary exercises. The module will encourage students to develop their potential and improve their Chinese language proficiency.
Your language skills would need to be the same as students returning from their second year abroad in Beijing.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- translate articles of intermediate level related to the topics studied during the module
- interpret authentic materials, e.g. interviews, video clips, news, etc.
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 2 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
- Week 1-2 Tourism
- Week 3-4 Transportation
- Week 5 Consolidation/ Test 1
- Week 7-8 Social Issues
- Week 9-10 Life
- Week 11 consolidation Test 2
- Week 1-2 Science and Technology
- Wee 3-4 Health
- Week 5 Consolidation/ Test 3
- Week 7-8 Consumption
- Week 9-10 Environment
- Week 11 Consolidation/ Test 4
Method of assessment
One two-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%); 6 homework assignments and 2 short tests (20%); 2 presentations and 2 short tests (20%).
- People's Daily http:www.people.com.cn (both Chinese and English versions)
- Financial Times http://marcopoloproject.org/work-with-us/online-engagement-officer/(both English and Chinese versions)
- China Dialogue https://www.chinadialogue.net (in both Chinese and English)
- Marcopolo Project http://marcopoloproject.org/work-with-us/online-engagement-officer,
- Weekly News Journal http://cctv.cntv.cn/lm/xinwenzhoukan/index.shtml
- Phoenix TV http://phtv.ifeng.com/
- CCTV4 http://cctv4asia.cntv.cn/
- BBC World Service http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp